Author Topic: Dessert Wine  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
Dessert Wine
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:34 pm »
In a forum far away and a time long, long ago, I posted wondering if anyone had made Mulsum. I got no responses, so I assumed no one had. It is the largest seller for the winery 6, 8 10…a few miles down the road from us (http://www.wacowinery.com/wines.html).  So, I decided to give it a try.  8)

Mulsum is an ancient Roman drink that was simply wine with honey added. I looked up several recipes on the net and they all boiled down to 4 oz. (fluid) to a bottle (750ml) of semi-dry white wine. Well, here is our fall harvest of honey.

Because of the colour (that spelling was for Perry  ;)), I decided to use red wine. Then I remembered that red wine flavor (no more spellings for Perry) is subdued with cold. So, I decided a white wine, as suggested in the recipes, would be the way to go. I thought a good semi-dry white would be Sauvignon Blanc, but the only inexpensive (cheap, $3/bottle) wine I had was Pinot Grigio. I figured at that price point the only difference between Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio was the label.  :D

I warmed the honey and added 4 oz. to the wine and whisked it in. After chilling I tried a bit…pretty good. It’s a nice, sweet, dessert wine. I think though, with the strength of this honey, I’ll use 3 ounces next time…this was a little too sweet for me.

Also, I do think I'll try red wine at "cellar" temperature. Gee, wonder what I’ll be sipping on when the temperatures get to 100 here.  :laugh:

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline rcannon

Re: Dessert Wine
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:57 pm »
That sounds good, I'm gonna have to try it.
I had a fellow call me a few days ago, wanting a couple of gallons of honey to make mead. He runs it thru his still to make honey brandy and says it can't be beat. Guess how he's gonna pay me for the honey?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
Takes a lot of honey to make mead. I have some aging.. at about a year it is drinkable, but needs more time.  Pickture of some of my mead at my site here;    http://outyard.weebly.com/honeybee-related-crafts.html
   I like the idea of mixing a bit of honey with wine and intend to try this!
   I like my wine mildly sweet.. My rich aunt tells me I need to learn more about wines if I like that sweet stuff..  I think her exact words were, that I needed to refine my pallet..   I told her my pallet would be rotted out in a year or two and need to be replaced so why refine it?    She didnt get it....
    Oh well...  She can drink that nasty dry stuff all she wants, I will stick to the stuff I actually like!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the Mulsum, I think I may give it a try, it seems simple enough.
And Thanks for the considerate spelling just for me Walt!  ;D

Cougar Wine Club?
Is that like a club for old gals that like to get drunk and chase the younger fellers?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »
Cougar Wine Club?
Is that like a club for old gals that like to get drunk and chase the younger fellers?

and.. where is it exactly?

*Sponsor*

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:47 am »
These folks (Ulf and Inga...they ain't from around here  ;)) have cougars, the 4 legged kind, on their property. So, they named the club after the kitties. They used to have chickens, but... :'(

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:50:18 am »
the 4 legged kind,    :'(

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:23:35 am »
Cougar Wine Club?

and.. where is it exactly?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter