Author Topic: Elder berry pie.  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Elder berry pie.
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:10 pm »

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

4 cups elderberries

1 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2.Mix cornstarch in a little bit of water and add to berries and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until desired thickness. Add more cornstarch if not thick enough. Add lemon juice.
3.Pour into bottom crust. Dot with butter. Put on top crust or make a lattice.
4.Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until browned and berries are bubbling through holes in the crust, approximately 40 minutes.
5.Note: It is a good idea to put a pan or foil under the pie as it bakes since it might bubble over.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Elder berry pie.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »
How much lemon juice?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:14:28 pm »
I think this would be delish!

I may try this sometime when I can sit and take all those little tiny stems off of each little tiny berry. There are some elderberry's somewhere in the states that are a little bigger, but ours are very little.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »
Never ate Elder berry pie? but my uncle sure made some good wine from them. Been atime or two when fishing on the river we had to sleep on the gravel bar because the bank got to steep to get up it. ;D Good thing the river never came up during the night. :occasion14:

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »
interestingly enough I didn't get enough elderberries for mead but I might have enough for this pie in my freezer.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:09 pm »
Since we are talking about pies..........Here is a triple berry pie I baked in our Wood Fired Oven -no recipe, couldn't make it the same way again if my life depended on it  ;)  You'll recognize my face there as my Avatar.  Now you know why I was smiling.  Had some dough remaining, so I made what my mom used to call 'tarts' -dough with a filling inside, usually jam or jelly.

I make pizza one day, cooking at 750-800* F; can bake bread at 450* F the second day; bake a pie the third day at 325* and finally; you can slow cook anything the fourth day, depending on the heat charge I place in the bricks with the wood fire the first day.  Fun, fun, fun!   8)
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 11:16:56 pm »
Can You Bake A Berry Pie Billy Boy, Billy Boy
Can You Bake A Berry Pie Charming Billy...   :D

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 05:11:17 am »
We do not use lemon juice in our pie.  Also instead of picking the berry's you shake them off the bush. By shaking you don't get the stems from the just not ripe enough ones.
Around here I have to put a bird net over the bushes and they will strip a elder berry bush in a day when they get ripe.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 02:23:39 pm »
I'm going to ask hubby if the elderberry's around here are ripe, or maybe over ripe by this time. It would still be a fun ride to find some. I would love to make an elderberry pie for turkey day. Getting so tired of my father in laws Banquet brand frozen pies. And if I do say so myself.. eh hem.. I make one mean pie crust  ;)

Thanks for the tip on shaking the berry's off, I'll letcha know if we find any berry's  :)