Author Topic: Viable combination plan for laying worker hive?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Lastfling

Viable combination plan for laying worker hive?
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:44:39 am »
Is this a viable plan?

A little history first.  I caught a swarm earlier this year that is currently hived in a 2 deep configuration.  The second box was added a few weeks ago as the first box was approximately 80% drawn.  They have started to draw maybe 1 frame (using wax foundation) in the second deep.  This hive has never really taken off from the get go, and during my last inspection there was scattered drone brood, eggs on sides of cells and multiple eggs in some cells.  I've tried supplementing this hive several times with frames of capped brood / open brood/ and eggs with hopes they'd make a queen, but so far no go and I currently thinks I'm wasting resources in continuing to try and support.  So here's my plan, and let me know your opinions if I'm on the right track.

I've got a Nuc with a good queen, great laying pattern and a lot of bees.  I'd been using this NUC as a resource hive to both the referenced hive and for another NUC that had been doing poorly.  They're ready to move up to a full size box.  What'd I'd considered doing is to take the suspected laying worker hive and shaking the bees off away from the hive location and returning the box to it's original site.  I then plan to add the Nuc frames to the second deep and do a newspaper combine of the two hives.  My hopes are that shaking bees away from the hive will remove the laying workers and placing the newspaper between the two deeps will allow the queen right Nuc to combine with the remaining foragers from the suspected laying worker hive. 

Thoughts ya'll -- am I on the right track in dealing with this, or other other options.   

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Viable combination plan for laying worker hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:49:49 am »
I would do that other than, I would remove one box, put the nuc and any pollen & honey frames in the other box, put the reducer at it's smallest opening, and let the returnees enter there.
PS. Just my opinion. Your way may work, or may be even better, but I wouldn't burden the nuc with all that drone brood
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Viable combination plan for laying worker hive?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:26 pm »
I think you are on the right track.  I think I would feed them if you just added a bunch of undrawn comb and there isn't a strong nectar flow on.  Reduce the entrance so the nuc can defend all that space.  Doing the newspaper combining is probably is being extra cautious, but that's ok.  I think your plan is fine.  You might use some of that drone brood to look for mites.