Author Topic: Dehydrated Honey  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Dehydrated Honey
« on: September 12, 2022, 07:16:08 pm »
Has anyone heard of or used dehydrated honey?  I worked the state beekeeping organization's booth at the state fair this weekend.  A customer asked if we had dehydrated honey.  He sells a seafood rub that uses dehydrated honey.  His distributor is currently out.  He said his rub is especially good on salmon and I thought that sounded really good!  I got his email address as he doesn't have a website. I'm going to check this out.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Dehydrated Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 07:25:12 pm »
I've heard of it in context of prepping, where I usually make fun of it because it's totally unnecessary to do anything to honey to store it long term.  I can see it being good in a dry rub though, that's an interesting application.  I'd think you'd need a pretty strong dehydrator to pull the water out of something as viscous as honey.  I wonder if you could freeze dry it. . . . 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 10:58:13 pm »
Just send your honey to California  8) I'll take off all the lids, set it out in my back yard for a week, send it back in a fine powder with a little ash in it to boot. Badda Bing Baby!  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 08:06:26 am »
Jen,  :D

15th, I did some searching online after I posted this.  A beekeeping website said a dehydrator could get the job done in 24-48 hours.  You could also do it in the oven but you run this risk of overheating the honey.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 10:06:47 am »
Just send your honey to California  8) I'll take off all the lids, set it out in my back yard for a week, send it back in a fine powder with a little ash in it to boot. Badda Bing Baby!  :D
:D

Jen,  :D

15th, I did some searching online after I posted this.  A beekeeping website said a dehydrator could get the job done in 24-48 hours.  You could also do it in the oven but you run this risk of overheating the honey.
https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3183.msg43607#msg43607
Fascinating!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.