Author Topic: supers on for winter  (Read 1741 times)

Offline DebNoble

supers on for winter
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »
This being my first year, I'm planning on just leaving the honey supers on for the bees for the winter - On each of two hives there is a deep brood box with some brood and honey stores, then there are two medium supers full of honey above the deep brood box. My small hive (a July split) has the one deep brood box and only 1 medium super of honey. So my question is:if I leave the honey supers on for the winter should I also feed with candy board? There seems to be lots of recipes/instructions available for making hard sugar for winter feeding! Also, I know the bees have to have time to process the syrup to make it useful for winter food, so at what temperatures do you switch from 2:1 syrup to sugar candy? Its getting pretty cool at night here in NS now!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: supers on for winter
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
They will take 2:1 syrup down to 55 F. "1 C." That's syrup temp, not air temp.
Solid sugar is not feed, but is insurance. It's there for an emergency only. It is put on for"just in case".
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: DebNoble