Author Topic: Hard Drive Change  (Read 12442 times)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Hard Drive Change
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:36:48 pm »
Can you spot the difference?   ;D

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Hard Drive Change
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:23:47 pm »
LOL!!
   Not one computer in my high school when I graduated, now typing class is called Keyboard.
   Floppy disks and running programs in DOS....
  I remember counting rings to see if the call was for us or the neighbors..
   Turning the DIAL to rotate the antennae because the show we wanted to watch was on CBS not ABC..
   My kids saw a rotary phone I grew up with and were amazed something that OLD was still around and worked.  Cant call out on it anymore, but it still rings fine.
   Churning butter, Putting up hay in the loft LOOSE with forks lifted by a horse while us kids had to "pack" the hay and level it.
   Picking EAR corn and shucking it with a little leather and metal spike that fit on your hand. THEN grandpa started using a two row picker pulled by a John Deere B..   He also bought a baler...  That was great because I was too small to lift the bales so I got to drive the tractor....  wasnt so fun when I was big enough to throw bales.
   Used to be a day the farmers raised their own pigs... we always had to sort them, gilts from boars.. catch the boars, hold them up by their back legs while they screamed and kicked their hind legs two hundred miles an hour while someone else used a razor and cut them, sprayed the cuts, and we turned em loose..  NOW the confinement operators order piglets..   Were not even going to talk about ringing the sows...   but I am getting off topic.. sorry... that brought back a lot of memories.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:42:55 am »
Imagine what things will look like in another 50.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:35 am »
amazing isn't it?  i had a stereo system installed in my jeep, it has a usb port on the receiver, i can use a very small flash drive loaded with music or podcasts, to plug into it. a plug in for an mp3 player, or satellite radio, and it still has a cd slot..... remember the 8 tracks, then cassettes.... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:41:24 am »
 Someone  asked the other day, 'What was your favorite  'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We  didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I  informed him.
'All the food was slow.' 
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you  eat?'   
'It  was a place called 'home,'' I explained.  !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table,     
and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't
tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd  figured his system could have
handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans,  set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or
had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school... I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one
speed    (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white,  and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it  came back on the air at about 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local  people...

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a  week.  He had to get up at 6 every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths  shut. At least,  they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because
all movies were responsibly  produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost
anything offensive.

If  you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your
children or grandchildren.  Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES  from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she  died recently) and he brought me an old lemonade bottle. 
In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no
idea. She thought  they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end
of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons.  Man, I am old.

How  many do you remember?   
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. 
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about. Ratings  at the bottom.

1.  Sweet cigarettes
2.  Coffee shops with juke  boxes
3.  Home milk delivery in glass bottles 
4.  Party lines  on  the telephone
5.  Newsreels before the movie 
6.  TV test patterns that came on at night after the  last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
(There were only 2  channels   [if you were fortunate] )
7.  Peashooters
8.  33 rpm  records
9.  45 RPM records
10.  Hi-if's
11.  Metal ice trays with  levers
12.  Blue flashbulb
13.  Cork popguns
14.  Wash  tub wringers

If  you remembered 0-3 = You're still  young
If  you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If  you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If  you remembered 11-14 = You're positively  ancient! 
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tefer2

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:35 am »
ancient here!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:39 pm »
WOW Iddee...   I think growing up where I did closed a bit of the generation gap for me..  I remember most of those things..
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zulu

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »
A generation later than you and grew up a continent away, but remember all but one of those.

Ancient definitively.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:58:08 pm »

Please Stand By

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:15 pm »
National Anthem with the Air Force jets flying and then the test pattern for a little bit after that was the bug races (static).
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »
National Anthem with the Air Force jets flying and then the test pattern for a little bit after that was the bug races (static).

At night, the Chattanooga stations showed the video High Flight before they signed off.  They played the national anthem in the morning when they came on.

I remember when I turned the tv off, there was a little white dot that stayed on in the middle of the picture tube for a minute or so before it faded away.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Well I know I am  definitively Ancient and if I could think about I probably could add to it.

Ken

Offline Marbees

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 11:04:24 pm »

G3, I remember seeing this for the first time. My father fell asleep on the couch, I was holding my breath, not to wake him up, knew he would send me to my room, wanted to watch till the program ends. :) Roaring jets woke him up, but there was nothing left to watch anyway :D

Interesting thing, I was growing up in Yugoslavia and we had the same end of TV program. Wondering if the military planes and national anthem was a TV thing of sixties, all over the world.
Bee Remarkable