Author Topic: Medium nucs for splits?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline SmokeyBee

Medium nucs for splits?
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:04:33 pm »
I want to do some walk away splits this year. I'm trying to use all medium equipment. Am I better off puting the split into a 5-6 frame medium nuc or a 10- frame medium or double medium nuc or something else?

Does anyone here do splits with mediums? My wooden ware buddy can make whatever size I need...I've thought about using all 10-frame boxes and follower boards also.

Thoughts? :newhere:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Medium nucs for splits?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 07:38:54 am »
First what are the purpose for the splits\nucs? Hive increases, swarm control, queen production, to sell? will effect how long they will be in a nuc hive. also starting strength will have a impact on their growth.
I am going to assume it is for hive number growth. Here is a suggestion if you make 6 frame nuc boxes that 3 boxes pushed together will equal the width of 2 supers. place 3 nucs tight together with the 2 nucs on the ends entrance facing one way and the nuc between facing the other way. Once the queens are established and laying put 2 queen excluders over the 3 nucs and 2 stacks of supers. Even though they get started later than a normal colony they will generally yield a fare amount of honey.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:08:50 am »
Walk away splits take time. I try to suggest using swarm cells or buy queens, so the time will be reduced between split and having a laying queen again.
   However, if that isn't possible, or not desirable, then yeah, it can be done. I use all medium equipment for everything, it saves me problems and weight.  I have done splits both ways.
   I have had better luck with a 5 frame nuc, and stacking another five frame box above the first once they get going. THEN when they are up and running in both boxes, i move both five frame nucs down into a ten frame hive body and give them a new box above.
   For some reason, they seem to grow faster in the nuc then when I just start them out in the ten frame hive body.

When you do a walk away split, you have to make SURE they have plenty of bees and brood. Bees will be dying off while they wait for a laying queen, and you don't want to end up with low numbers of bees when the laying queen arrives.
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:49:21 am »
Walk away splits take time.

and stand a higher probability of marginal queens.  Though folks in the south can get away with poor queens better than us northerners.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:14:45 pm »
smokeybee....about walkaway splits....
what robo said:
"stand a higher probability of marginal queens.  Though folks in the south can get away with poor queens better than us northerners."

what scott said:
"Walk away splits take time. I try to suggest using swarm cells or buy queens, so the time will be reduced between split and having a laying queen again.
When you do a walk away split, you have to make SURE they have plenty of bees and brood. Bees will be dying off while they wait for a laying queen, and you don't want to end up with low numbers of bees when the laying queen arrives."

i haven't done walkaways for many years, it was something i wanted to try (we all have to try some method and learn from it). like robo said, you stand a really high probability of 'marginal queen's' and in my experience a high chance of a really poor queen or failure. 

i utilize swarm cells in the spring, as scott mentioned. i don't use mediums, i use 4 or 5 frame nuc boxes (deep frames) to place the swarm cells in. 

i also purchase queens as needed and available, walkaways are not the best choice imho..........
too many variables for failure. 

how many walkaways do you want to do?

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:12:03 am »
Hi folks,

Thanks for the good information... I'm asking at this point just to learn how it works.

Last year was my first season. I went into winter with what I thought were two strong hives. I wanted to expand the bee yard, so I pre-ordered a nuc and got some swarm traps. I thought that would put me at 4-5 colonies depending on how many swarms I caught and then I could split my original hives.

Both original hives died out from mite load and so far I've caught ZERO swarms. My plan of having 7-ish colonies right now has fallen apart but I will get my nuc next week.

I have a buddy who's good with a table saw and works for beer, so I have enough woodenware to compete with Mann Lake and not a single bee, hahaha!

The reason I keep thinking of walk away splits is that if the bees make the queen, I save the expense of buying them. I know there are ways of raising queens, but it looks to be above my skill level at the moment. I didn't know that it produced an inferior queen...it's all academic at this point.