Author Topic: Absconding - Lets Talk  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Absconding - Lets Talk
« on: October 25, 2019, 04:25:42 pm »
Last year California was up in flames. Tough year for bees here on the west coast. It was the first year ever that I had a hive abscond, it was in the fall season. No doubt there was just no pollen and nectar to find. Colony and queen vanished.

I had a similar situation happen two years ago in the spring, but the queen was left behind.

Swarm? Abscond? Colony Collapse Disorder?

What is the difference?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Absconding - Lets Talk
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:00:31 pm »
Two  years ago, varroa.
Last year, starvation.
Both are guesses.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 05:05:33 pm »
Hmm. That would makes some sense. But then there is CCD.

And two years ago, why would they leave the queen behind? Maybe for some reason she wasn't able to fly.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:05:29 pm »
They dwindled to nothing. They didn't eave, they died off.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 11:32:39 pm »
Nope ~ my hives don't get full of varroa, I'm on that like poop on stink!

Nope ~ It was a hive that was full of bees. Granted the super wasn't full of honey, but there was enough to keep them happy in the present mode. So they weren't starving.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 09:53:53 am »
Last year California was up in flames. Tough year for bees here on the west coast. It was the first year ever that I had a hive abscond, it was in the fall season. No doubt there was just no pollen and nectar to find. Colony and queen vanished.

I had a similar situation happen two years ago in the spring, but the queen was left behind.

Swarm? Abscond? Colony Collapse Disorder?

What is the difference?

Jen, this is a good question. I am adding my two cents worth for any beginners that might read this thread.  And, that is what it's worth, 2 cents! When we lose a colony of bees it's always a good idea for the beekeepers to learn from the situation.

During a swarm, about 1/2 the bees will remain, and the old queen will go with the swarm.  Queen cells will be present in the colony.  When those cells are capped, and weather is good, they will swarm.

Absconding is a little more mysterious.  A hive that absconds could be a colony that is already weakened and small because a poor queen.  Added stressors like a lack of forage, mites, SHB, skunks, yellow jackets, etc. make honey bees decide to relocate.  Feeding during these times, should prevent absconding during times with no food sources.   Proper spacing with in the hive could help too.  The presence of brood can also anchor a colony to the hive.  Sometimes they abscond leaving the nurse bees with the brood.  That's when the beekeeper will open the hive to find a very small number of bees present.

CCD is even more complex and I don't profess to be an expert in any of this.  Most likely CCD is a combination of factors.  Pesticides, varroa and the 27 diseases they can bring with them, nosema, nutrition (or lack of nutrition), mite treatments applied by the beekeeper, etc.  I envision the bees being so miserable that the only alternative is to get the heck out of there and hope that they leave the source of their misery behind.  That is probably a good reason not to bother catching a swarm any later than July 1 (In my geographical area).

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 05:51:39 pm »
I've been getting swarm calls in the fall for 3 years now. i'm pretty sure that these were hives that absconded. I hived the bees & fed them heavily & most survived the winters. 2 years ago my strongest hive absconded. they abandoned 60#'s of honey, 4 full frames of brood, & had lots of pollen stashed. that one was a mystery!!

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 06:39:43 pm »
I've had plenty of dead outs, but no absconding

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:42:40 pm »
If they absconded ? Where are they going ?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 08:11:28 pm »
away ;D

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »
They are not going to be able to survive rite?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:58 pm »
So they are taking a death flight ?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 03:25:34 pm »
Hi Mikey, my thoughts are...

It depends on the time of year. An abscond means that the entire colony plus the queen flees from the hive, and will not come back. If that happens during the spring or summer, that colony will land and have time to build another home. Much like a swarm. If it happens in the Fall, there is not food stores for them to survive on.

Another question:

If the bees have decided to abscond, do they send out scouts ahead of time to find potential homes?