Author Topic: Why do a trapout.  (Read 4678 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Why do a trapout.
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:26 am »
If you are looking for the genetics of the colony, a trap out will not work.
There are two reasons for doing a trap out.

If you have a hive you like the genetics of, but don't want to make a split from your hive, a trap out will give you the workers to raise a queen, or a few queens, from that hive.

Of course, the other reason is to remove the bees from an unwanted area.

Doing a removal is much quicker, more complete, as it also removes the comb, and saves a lot of travel. There are times, however, that a removal is not practical. It is those times you use a trap out to obtain more bees, and of the genetics you want, rather than the unknown. I have never worked with AFB, but think trapping may be the answer to removing them. Consider a colony established in an apartment complex, or business complex, where there are people coming and going constantly. a removal may endanger any number of people. During a trap out, the first couple of hours may see a large number of bees in the air, but they are confused, not angry, and are only looking for their home. I have never received a sting during this time.

Then there is the construction aspect. When they are in masonry, or historic woodwork, or other hard to replace material, a trap out is the way to go.

Next post will be materials needed, after answering any questions coming from this post.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marty68

Re: Why do a trapout.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:46:00 pm »
So using a trap out, is it good for setting up next to your hive  to catch a swarm if I don't split in time . Hope I phrased that right so you understand

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:17 pm »
I think you are confusing a trapout with a swarm trap. They are different. A trapout removes an established hive from an inaccessible area. A swarm trap is set to attract a swarm.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marty68

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »
i did confuse the two. thanks for elaborating more on that.and how is a swarm trap set up to attract them

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »
With old comb and lemongrass oil.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marty68

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »
i don't have any so would it be worthless to try it that way with  just regular frames

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
Start a thread on swarm traps and we will get different members to chime in on how they do it.
― Shel Silverstein