General Discussion > Any and Every Thing

My old friends the sewing machines

(1/3) > >>

Gypsi:
I am a fan of vintage sewing machines. I used to sew a lot but shoot what am I going to do with the stuff I make (if I had time)   Kids grew up, grandkids grow faster than I can sew, and I only need so many quilts.  Plus I work a lot on fish ponds.

In 2012 I hit an estate sale next door to my daughter's and picked up 2 machines for $25 each, put in boxes for when I had time. It snowed last weekend, I had time. So I have no idea what kind these are, they are sewing machines.  After bringing the non working singer back from my other daughter, spending $65 at a shop to clean it and tell me it worked fine, I sold it to my helper for $10. She doesn't sew, but I've seen her hand patches on her purse....

Anyway, it snowed this weekend, so I opened the boxes.  The Elnita 120 definitely needs belts. Once I get them on I can determine if it needs thrown out. Probably it will be fine. $20 for belts beats $65 plus parts at the shop that has since closed.

and the other, well after I bought these machines I went over to my daughter's.  And the  neighbor comes and knocks on the door. And brings a cabinet, with drawers full of attachments and stuff.  The 2nd machine is an Italian made Necchi SuperNova Ultra.... It purrs like a kitten. I have  no idea what these parts do but it came with 2 books so I'll bet I can figure it out...

what's my screen

Bakersdozen:
Those are great machines!  My Mom bought an Elna and used it for 40+ years.  When we were young, she made all our clothes and we all learned to sew on it.  When she passed away, my niece got it.  It still works great. 

At the beginning of the pandemic, you couldn't find a sewing machine!  Not only were the sewing stores shut down, used machines were selling like hot cakes.  I found one about an hour and a half away.  My husband and I made a day trip of it, turning lemons into lemonade.  I am currently making window valances for my beekeeping work area.  I'll post a picture later.

Grandma Bear:
Sewing machines have become another addiction for both me and my daughter. I've had my no name "heavy duty " machine my mom ordered for me when I had kiddo #3 28 years ago....it has never failed me and sews even heavy denim with no issues. Back in 2008ish Iddee gifted my daughter a beautiful vintage singer treadle machine in perfect condition and she has it in her kitchen upstairs, and she has 3 other machines of various brands downstairs. I keep picking up sewing machines at yard sales and thrift stores...until a couple of months ago I had 7 sewing machines including the beautiful vintage singer treadle that Iddee gifted me with a year or two after he gave one to my daughter. When I moved out here to the ranch the folks who bought my house had 3 girls and they were all so adorable showing me the things that they have made and handstitched...their work was amazing and I felt that anyone that dedicated deserved a machine so I gifted each girl a machine and then gave their momma one as well. I never saw a woman and 3 young girls grin so big!

Gypsi:
I have been collecting sewing machines since my twins were born. I inherited my grandmother's when she moved to my Uncle's in Oregon in 1986, had a neighbor making a trip pick it up for me, a Japanese Universal circa 1959. It's the only one I had for a while, but I picked up a 1955 (or thereabouts) White, in a cabinet, at the curb in 1992, cleaned it up, oldest daughter has it. (and a couple she's bought since). Her twin has her grandmother's Brother, and a couple she bought since. Youngest daughter I'd picked up a portable singer at a garage sale for her, and delivered it, but she never could get it to work, bobbin in an unfamiliar place, so I found her a Japanese twin to my grandmother's machine, in a cabinet this summer, bought, tested, changed the belt and delivered it to her.  Picked up the singer. $65 I shouldn't have spent at the shop this fall, but Singer got cleaned up and belt checked, sold it to my helper for $10 just to make room. She doesn't sew on a machine, yet, but she has 2 daughters, and she hand patches her purse and stuff, eventually she might use it. I just needed room

Because in 2012 I'd picked these 2 up and they were still sitting in boxes.   I also have a White 3/4 Serger that lives in a box until I need it. Keeps dust off and I use it like every 10 years. but it comes in handy, and in temperature controlled situation the belt seems to stay good

Grandma Bear:

--- Quote from: Gypsi on January 13, 2021, 11:24:48 am ---I have been collecting sewing machines since my twins were born. I inherited my grandmother's when she moved to my Uncle's in Oregon in 1986, had a neighbor making a trip pick it up for me, a Japanese Universal circa 1959. It's the only one I had for a while, but I picked up a 1955 (or thereabouts) White, in a cabinet, at the curb in 1992, cleaned it up, oldest daughter has it. (and a couple she's bought since). Her twin has her grandmother's Brother, and a couple she bought since. Youngest daughter I'd picked up a portable singer at a garage sale for her, and delivered it, but she never could get it to work, bobbin in an unfamiliar place, so I found her a Japanese twin to my grandmother's machine, in a cabinet this summer, bought, tested, changed the belt and delivered it to her.  Picked up the singer. $65 I shouldn't have spent at the shop this fall, but Singer got cleaned up and belt checked, sold it to my helper for $10 just to make room. She doesn't sew on a machine, yet, but she has 2 daughters, and she hand patches her purse and stuff, eventually she might use it. I just needed room

Because in 2012 I'd picked these 2 up and they were still sitting in boxes.   I also have a White 3/4 Serger that lives in a box until I need it. Keeps dust off and I use it like every 10 years. but it comes in handy, and in temperature controlled situation the belt seems to stay good

--- End quote ---

I have threatened for years to buy myself a serger...somehow I keep talking myself out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version