Author Topic: Asian Giant Hornets - Murder - Vespa Mandarinia Magnifica - Solution to protect?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline New2Bees

If you haven't heard of these hornets, you will eventually...they're a problem in the making. You can search "murder hornets" for more information. Ideally, these hornets will be eradicated, or kept to minimal populations..but maybe not:(

Problem:
They invade and destroy bee colonies/hives.

Solution?
Since the hornets are physically WAY bigger than the bees, couldn't we just put a screen over the hives? Holes big enough for the bees, but too small for the hornets?

That's just an off the cuff thought I had of a way to immediately protect the beehive.

What do you folks think?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
New2Bees, welcome to the forum.  I see this is your first post.
The Asian Hornet is making all the social media posts these days.  I believe they were spotted in Washington State?
My hope is that the spread will be similar to the Africanized Honey Bee. Yes, AHB are a big issue in Texas and the Gulf states.  It was predicted that they would be moved up to Kansas by now, and so far so good.  Occasionally we get a hot hive that we need to requeen.  I have had one of those myself. 
Yellow Jackets are an issue here.  They are a menace to bees and people.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
If u read the social media crap, they also say that Japanese honey bees , found a way to smother hornet and over heat it. That's what they all do.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
I'm a couple days late to the party, but welcome New2Bees!  Why don't you pop over to the Welcome forum and introduce yourself?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau