Author Topic: Inexpensive honey extractors.  (Read 10172 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Inexpensive honey extractors.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:10 pm »
Perry, I think that extractor takes six or nine mediums radially, or three deeps tangentially. That is what they are showing. You would never load it that way when using.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »
Iddee The frames are in there correctly. But when extracting 9 frames you need to stop start the extractor 2 additional times to extract the frames that are places tangent. As Iddee said they extract both sides at the same time, It justs takes more time to extract radially. In Tangent mode you can spin out frames with stop and turning the frames in 3 to 4 minutes. In radial mode it will take 15 to 20 minutes to achieve the same degree of honey extraction out of the frames.
When extracting with the frames in tangent you want to get the bulk of the honey out of the one side of the frame and turn the frames to remove the bulk of the honey from the other side before turning up the extractor speed to clean the last of the honey out. Then the frames need to be flipped again to do the final cleaning of the first side frame.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 02:19:43 pm »
Apis-
Thank you for the clarification, I thought those frames were a little tight.  So they do not need to be removed when used radially.  Just need to let it spin longer if they were spaced apart from what I am gathering.  I am going to go look at tomorrow evening.  Still not hooked yet.

Jason

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 05:08:32 pm »
 Starting the extractor to fast or speeding it up to quickly can cause the honey to shear the was cells off the foundation mid rib This will happen more on newly drawn combs.
If you only put in the 6 frames radially then start slow and turn up the speed as the honey gets spun out and the frames become lighter. After 5 to 10 minutes you should have most the bulk weight of the frames out and the extractor running at full speed. then let it run for another 5 to 10 minutes.
with 3 frames tangent 1 minute slow on one side turn the frame around and spin the other side, after a minute on the 2nd side speed the extractor up for an additional minute then turn the frame to the first side and run it at a fast speed for another minute.
If you use the extractor with 9 frames you need to combine the to different extracting styles.
Stopping the extractor to turn jest the 3 frames placed in the extractor tangent.
Extracting times are effected by type of honey, moisture content of the honey, the temperature of the honey when it is still in the frame, and also the temperature that the honey is being extracted at.
So times and speeds need to be adjusted to your setup and conditions. some people do not worry about trying to get most the honey out of the frames as the place the supers back on the hive to let the bees clean up any they did not extract.

Offline mowarren

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
I've got some hives left for winter with 2 deep boxes the top one is about 1/2 full of honey, whats best option for extractor for deep frames? Hoping to build to about 10 hives this year

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:33 pm »
I used my trusty old 2 frame Maxant hand crank for a dozen hives no problem. You get tired of cranking but it will get the job done.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline mowarren

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »
will it do the deep frames also ?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 09:24:53 pm »
Most extractors will take either deep or medium frames. On the extractors with pictures and links above a 3/6, 4/8, or a 3/9, will take 3, or 4, deep placed tangent. Or 6, or 8, frames placed in the extractor radially. or in the case of the maxant 9 when placed in both positions.