Author Topic: WHOOO HOOO!  (Read 46119 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: WHOOO HOOO!
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:32 am »
any particular type / test?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2014, 10:56:01 am »
What I have seen mentioned most is 20 LB. test nylon. I think any 10 LB. or better, or even frame wire would do fine.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2014, 11:01:10 am »
thanks iddee! 
I actually have some 15 lb test that might do the trick without having to go to the store  8)
well give it a shot.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
It should be fine. If in doubt, double it and put a twist in it.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »
Some of the finer lines I have heard reports of the bees chewing and nipping them off like the rubber bands used to hold comb in frames during cutouts.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »
Inspection today.  Hive 1 : honey super frames 4-8 are looking good

Frame 3

Frames 1 and ten are starting to be drawn out... Frames 2 and 9 are drawn, but nothing
capped.

Hive 2 :

Almost all frames are drawn. Only one without anything started yet, and of course the white one in the 1 slot looks like this:

Capped honey on one side... Then the other side

Ten slot is solid honey

Middle is good brood pattern

The bottom super looked like there was a lot of open brood areas?  I didn't take every frame out, as I just wanted to inspect the top to check on how they were drawing out the new frames in the top deep.  I hope the flow stays on, and next week I think I'll be able to add a honey super to this one as well!

So question time.  When do we add the second honey super? 
I only have 4 available at this point (wasn't expecting honey my first year) and can borrow if needed, but would rather not.  That being said. Place one on top (only foundation) or extract and place the drawn one back?

Henry David Thoreau

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »
Only extract if you will still leave enough for winter. Don't depend on future collections to carry them through. They may not materialize.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »
Calling Riverbee!  What is traditionally left in our area?
Henry David Thoreau

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2014, 06:59:24 am »
The frames with the white plastic foundation has had the wax coating striped off and salvaged by the bees and so they are going to be reluctant to draw these areas out unless you make them more attractive to the bees melt down some of your wax scrapings you have been collecting so you have a small block of wax. have it with you when doing hive inspections and when you see areas that the bees have stripped the wax rub the wax bar over these areas to encourage the bees to draw it out. it might take a couple of times and a good honey flow but it will get the bees drawing the comb on this frame again.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2014, 04:42:14 pm »
Will give it a try... 
Was just out this morning and noticed a ton if movement in front of the hive on the ground.  Upon closer inspection , noticed that almost all of the bees on the ground moving around were drones.  Any ideas on that one? Should I be concerned or looking for anything more?
Henry David Thoreau

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »
They will fix the damaged foundation, just in all probability drone cells, this presumes a decent nectar flow. Move that frame in the middle of the brood chamber, they will draw it out in short order.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2014, 12:39:29 am »
"Calling Riverbee!  What is traditionally left in our area? "

asters......zweef what we have in the river valley here this year some bee balm left, bull thistle, many types of asters, like coreopis, coneflowers, etc.... and goldenrod coming up.  i also have row crops of soybeans that have not yet bloomed and a number of other non native species.

your beeswax foundation was chewed and re-purposed as well as the waxed plastic foundation....the bees stripped it for use elsewhere.  the bees can and will fix this......on the waxed plastic, hmmm apis said recoat it, which i would agree with, but not certain they would this late in the season.  i had several frames earlier in the season stripped totally of wax, did not recoat, and the bees drew it out.  this late in the season, i really think it might get ignored whether coated or not unless we have a phenomenal goldenrod bloom.  but don't quote me on this..... :D  bees seem to really make me look foolish quite frequently....... :D

it is late in the season to be placing supers on.....i would refer to what iddee said:
"Only extract if you will still leave enough for winter. Don't depend on future collections to carry them through. They may not materialize."

what you can do is remove full frames and place empty ones in, if they are drawn frames this time of the year much better.  if you place a super on now, the chances are in favor of having drawn frames of nothing but nectar, undrawn frames are a real crapshoot and may or may not be very partially drawn and filled (not capped) and the top of your inner cover will most likely be a mess, or the bottoms of your frames........ :D

i guess what i am saying is, i wouldn't be placing a whole lot of foundation in at this time of the year........ ;) if you need to take some frames out to give room for the aster/goldenrod bloom, drawn foundation at this time of the season is best. either way, drawn or undrawn, even if it's nectar they pack away with either, you can feed these frames back to them later on.

as far as the drones in front of the hive.......not sure? were they being drug out and not allowed back in the hive?

hope i made sense?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
WHOOO HOOO!
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
You did sound a bit contradictive don't give foundation only, then if you give them foundation they will possibly draw and store nectar- it's late though so I'll re read in the AM....

I was asking more or less what should be left for honey stores for bees in our area for winter...

As for the drones. I did not see them be ejected, just crawling around on the grass, 2-4 feet in front of the hive.  Not a ton of them,  maybe 20ish? Enough to get my attention...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:06:48 am by Zweefer »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2014, 02:10:23 am »
Hey Zweef, I've noticed about the last month that the girls have been reeking havoc with the drones. I stand there and watch those poor boys and want to rescue them... sigh... but I know they have to go  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2014, 02:44:52 am »
sorry if i sounded contradictory........you would be hard pressed to get bees to draw any substantial foundation this time of year.

"I was asking more or less what should be left for honey stores for bees in our area for winter..."

a full deep. for extra insurance i would put a shim on so that i could place winter feed in there at some point if need be, or place it on top before extreme weather hits, like fondant or winter patties.  if i remember, you have carnis?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:36 am »
Yes, carnis. Full deep plus what they have in the brood chambers, or enough total to equal a full deep?  Sorry for being a bit obtuse - I've done all this work to revive the hives and don't want to be responsible for their demise over their first winter...  I do plan on putting fondant on over the inner cover regardless. I figure it can't hurt. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2014, 09:47:18 am »
Hi Zweef, I believe I'll be doing the same thing, smokey air and drought didn't make for booming hives this year  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom