Author Topic: Late swarm situation  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Late swarm situation
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:33 pm »
Caught a swarm in bee ( back) yard , mid August in a dead out 10 on 10 deep that had moth damage.. Box was on the other side of back yard, about 2 acres, seen when cutting grass, maybe 2 weeks. Inspected and found not many bee's. So changed out boxes and frames(drawn frames) single ten deep, 2 weeks later State inspector came she looked at them said these bee's are cordovian Bee's, told me to nuc them. So put them in a 5 over 5 and added med Super 5 on top and feed. Did inspection on Oct. 14 and found 9 Q-cells
pretty 1 1/2" cells , let's see what happens. We've not got to freezing temps yet, supposed to get 29° Fri. night. So opened box today , been keeping 2:1 SW to them, top super full and capped , next down 5 deep , first 3 frames capped on top and pollen and SW low, 2 of the frames (drawn) had a little SW. Go down to bottom 5 deep, lots of bee's in both 5 deeps, first frame
to out side had capped at top and pollen on the outside of box, flipped frame and there were 1-2-3 day eggs. Pulled 2 nd. frame1-2 day eggs on both sides, pulled 3 rd and BOOM there she is , good looking Q moving slow and laying, didn't go into last 2 frames , didn't see any capped brood. So I know I'm in a situation that I can't control. Please any advice.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Late swarm situation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »
Hope, pray, and reduce entrance to minimum. Maybe tape Styrofoam or something to both sides and back, for insulation. Keep checking for weight and feed as needed, especially Feb. and Mar.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:18:15 pm »
Already have 2 " in teley cover up top , to keep heat above Miller top feeder, have 1" black ,block wall , air gap insulation , rachet strapped.
Like u said hope,pray.  It came to my thinking, if you could move bee's inside , would Q keep laying in a controlled environment?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:35 am »
Only if heat and light were controlled. Then what about cleansing flights. The setup you have is as good as inside. She will lay all winter unless we have a record cold.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:49:15 am »
What a good beekeeper you are Mikey! I so enjoy your dedication.

Last winter I had a colony the size of a grapefruit by the end of Fall, I pulled it thru winter and it turned out to be one of my best hives this year. I've pulled very small colony's thru winter several times in my 10 years as a beekeeper. I don't give up on colony's because they are small.

I have soo much admiration for beekeepers that put as much importance on small colony's as big colony's.

Keep up the good work you nice guy you  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »
I'm trying, bee's are alive 29° last night . keeping fingers crossed

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:36:01 pm »
Mikey, put some wind protection up around them.  That will help them maintain a temperature.  iddee suggested sheets of sytrofoam.  That sounds like a good idea.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 06:49:43 pm »
Wow, thought hive was being robbed, wow orientation Nov. In N.C.  she has 2 frames 3/4 capped
I'm still hoping and praying

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 06:36:51 pm »
That's good news, Mikey.  Are you feeding them?  I think I would.  They need all the help they can get.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:32:11 pm »
Agreed, Feed. Feeding this time of year gives security and comfort.
There Is Peace In The Queendom