Author Topic: Selling a double deep hive?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Selling a double deep hive?
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:45:25 pm »
What would be a fair price for a double deep hive.  We started it in late April as a nuc with a purchased queen, newspaper combined another 4 frames of  brood, moved it into a 10 frame deep and added a second deep with 3 frames of honey and 7 drawn empty frames.  I just added supers to it.  The sale would consist of bottom board, 2 deeps, reversible inner cover, telecover and the bees.  The wooden ware is home made.  I'd like to get a price for the above and a price if the buyer uses his own equipment (transfers frames to his boxes).  I'd sell him a nuc but am concerned about his newness to beekeeping and the time of the season.  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tecumseh

Re: Selling a double deep hive?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:07 am »
there are a number of methods to evaluate the price or value of an item.... cost +, the value of what he item will produce, replacement value.  Any stated price is almost impossible to determine for someone else due to variation in local markets and of course time of year...

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:33:01 am »
Thanks Tecumseh. Thought I'd give it a try.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:18 am »
I personally hate those wishy washy answers like I gave to you Ted.  Sounds a bit too much like political speech where someone 'drones' on but tells you nothing.  here at this time of the year I would guess a similar hive could be sold for 400+.  We do have a very active buyers market here and lots of new folks to the beekeeping game...

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:26:43 am »
Thanks for the clarity Tecumseh.  I'm uncertain, at this point, how I'll proceed with this. A couple things going through my mind.  One is that while we all deserve to make a profit no one needs to make all their profit from one transaction.  I don't want to gouge anyone.  Second is his newness to beekeeping.  There's a great deal to be learned from watching a colony grow, i believe.  I'm kicking around the idea of just giving him one of the swarms with the advice that he feeds them, providing he returns/replaces my woodenware.  Maybe ask for a small fee to cover my time catching them.  The other side of the fee is that catching the swarm was a learning (and fun) activity for me, so perhaps that nullifies the need for a fee.  Rereading this, maybe I'm a wishy washy kind of guy,  though I must say I prefer the terms "thoughtful and reflective" 8).  Thanks again for the clarity.  Ted

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:35 am »
Second is his newness to beekeeping.  There's a great deal to be learned from watching a colony grow, i believe. 

:agree:

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:23 am »
You are right.. and of course... killing a colony that you just spent 4 - 500 dollars on is a learning experience too!!!    :laugh:       I have bought a few hives for around 300 dollars with two deeps.  I might have to do it again... neglecting my bees terribly with all that is currently going on....  I havent even treated them yet. I JUST don't have time, when I do have time its raining....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:09 pm »
If you need bees my friend, you got them.  They're on deep frames, but the price is right! 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:00:27 pm »
Not this year....  because of rain and mud I havent even been able to get to my outyards. i have no idea what i have left...   Going flat out as fast as I can go.... I am way too old to be doing this crap...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*