Author Topic: Only a beekeeping forum would understand my excitment over this phone call  (Read 21568 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
I got a call from someone that said they think there are bees in this Honeysuckle hedge row. They said if I would come out and check I could have what was in there. WooHoo.

Got a hold of land owner and she said some had set these up many many years ago and they have been abandoned. She said for us to get busy. And we could set them up in new boxes out there if we wanted another bee yard.

There is more than these. This was just after about 10 minutes of chopping. I am guessing 10 or more.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
I saw your post on FB and couldn't believe my eyes.  Find of a lifetime there sir.  I wish I was close enough to help you treasure hunt in that brush.  Please, please allow us to see your progression through this.  :yes:

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Nice find, good job, get those girls in newer equipment, remember smoker and veil lol
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
 How many hives and were there still bees in them and what shape do they appear to be in.

Ken

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Survivor hives, No mites, No Small Hive Beatles, No wax moths No disease. Maybe that is the secret, they were so well hid non of those thing could find them.
Nice tip to them being there and Free bees. Lets hope that all the hard work is worth it. Review the AFB, EFB, disease section in the disease book and look closely for signs them.  If they looks suspicious shook swarm the bees into new equipment and destroy the old.
Good luck
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Survivor hives, No mites, No Small Hive Beatles, No wax moths No disease. Maybe that is the secret, they were so well hid non of those thing could find them.
Nice tip to them being there and Free bees. Lets hope that all the hard work is worth it. Review the AFB, EFB, disease section in the disease book and look closely for signs them.  If they looks suspicious shook swarm the bees into new equipment and destroy the old.
Good luck

:yes:

That is a dream find right there my friend..  I would update those hives and leave them right where they are..
   Reminds me of walking back to my old mentors field and realizing the hives were still back there and had not been burned like the ones up by the house..   Goosebumps and PURE joy...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Yeah, That's my plan.

Dig them out, inspect them and put them in new equipment, and leave them right where they are. That is obviously a good spot if they have been
there all these years on their own.

I am anxious to get into the boxes and see what their like.

So far all the ones I have gotten to have bees in them. And I see many other areas in the vines where bees are coming and going.

I will for sure take pictures.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
This deserves a video Yankee! As a matter of fact this would make a good story at the end of the evening news. Anxious to follow this story  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
He doesn' t want to go that far. Might refresh someones memory and they could come looking to pick up their bees.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Couple of things.

All bee yards are supposed to registered with the State, even if on your own property. These hives were never registered (i have already checked) the land owners spouse has passed away and she has no idea who put them out there.

She does know that they have not been cared for in many, many years and as grown over as they are it shows.  The boxes are in bad shape from what I could see. Corners are separated etc. They appear to be sitting on the ground and the the bottom boards I think are collapsed. The bee are coming and going through the rotten corners of the boxes.

Maybe once I get them in the proper equipment and someone shows up to claim them we can have a conversation on how to keep bees. These things are berried so deep in these vines its crazy.

They are probably about 6-8 ft in from the edge

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
A Crazy Fun Adventure is what I'm seeing, something to get obsessed about ~ Wish I was there

Offline Michelle

wow what an amazing opportunity!
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
I hate to rain on the parade, but if the equipment is in as bad of shape as you say, it sounds like it could be one heck of a cutout. Maybe the frames are still in decent shape, but if they aren't, you are probably going to have some messed up comb in there. Still, it is a great opportunity and to have multiple colonies right there is a nice benefit. Good luck with all of that and I bet it will be fun!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
tbone - I'm envisioning the same stuff you are. Been contemplating how this is going to pan out. I do believe it going to be quite the adventure, one hive at a time. A lot of work and discovery.

And then there is the side of me thinking, 'Why not just leave well enough alone? those bees have been there successfully for a long time.'

Then there is the part of me that says, 'Maaaybe, Yankee could open them up, and do a split with each one. That way nature will take it's course and let the old hives be a great source to rob from, and be able to leave them alone at the same time.

Does it really matter if those old boxes are worn and broken down as long as the bees love living in them? Just make splits for now. Then when the old boxes are dangerously dilapidated, rid them and rebox the remaining bees... over a period of time.

Don't mind me Yankee, I'm just gazing out the window in a ponderous mood ;) 8)  It will be interesting whatever you do with these hives ~

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Are without a doubt an amazing opportunity for survivor bees but what you may find out is that these bees are quite defensive because they haven't been bothered with by people but probably have been bothered by all of of nature's little critters. I still suspect with an amazing opportunity I would make sure my smoker was well lit haha
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Hey Yank,don't forget the bug spray or sulfur, ticks are bad this year and that looks like some places i go through to get to some hives that are loaded with ticks :o Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
what an amazing buried treasure find!!!  like apis said 'survivor bees'.  wonder how long they have been there?  a very long time from the looks of the equipment.  like everyone else, looking forward to updates from you!  wish you well yankee!  ;)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
See if you can find any of their diaries. :)  On a serious note, it would be informative to know how the adjacent land has been used over the past few years.  Has their been any pesticides in their two of three mile radius?  In short, the history of these hives could quite easily boost our knowledge of bees.

What a find!  Please keep us posted.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
I know the farmer so I can ask some questions. I am also going to meet with the lady who owns the land and see what she can tell me.

Like Jen, a part of me says to leave them, am I would if they were in a tree or some other natural setting. I know some places like that and I sometimes go to see them.

But, a bigger part of me wants to find out a lot. How many hives are under there that may be vacant, if so, why are they vacant. Whats the shape of these hives, honey bound, signs of problems etc. I am going to leave them out there. And yes I do want to start some hives from them. The guy farming the place kinda acts like if I don't do it he will find another beekeeper to do it. Said he has been looking for a beek to come and do this. I gave his wife a bottle of honey this week for letting us set a successful swarms trap on another one of there farms.

It could be a situation that bees are moving in and dying out then more moving in. Just rotating through the boxes. I just have to many questions to leave as is.

I do bet one thing though. I bet this hedge row throws some swarms in the springtime. ;D Can you imagine the clouds of bees coming out of this hedge.

I will keep everyone up to date as I go through this, I hope to get out there today and tomorrow and get started digging.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
What do you think is the major forage plants in this area?  Dang, there's a lot of research questions begging to be asked.  If you leave them in their boxes, the boxes will deteriorate to the point that the bees will leave them.  Everything changes, and so will this scenario.  I think research and renovate is the message.  These have to be God sent stocker bees.