Author Topic: Hot Hive!  (Read 21579 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Hot Hive!
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2015, 12:48:15 am »
Okay Riv, that was one of my other questions is if I could rotate them in. My only concern is mixing one hives honey with another hive. I do know that all my hives are clean of AFB or EFB.

"Because Hot Hive no longer exists"

I pulled a nuc 6 weeks ago in order to calm the bees. Didn't work. Then Hot Hive swarmed 4 weeks ago. Didn't calm them down.  4 people have been stung, me repeatedly just going out the back door, our dog got nailed and our neighbors dog got nailed. Mama had enough. Hot Hive got a sulful smoke. It was a big hive so it only got about half the mean bees, so I suited up and took the shop vac to them. Peace Reigns In the Neighborhood  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:56 pm »
sure you can jen, like you said, free of afb or efb.

sorry you had to deal with having to destroy a hive of bees, but in the best interests of your family and your neighborhood, very understandable. 
so you used sulfur in the smoker and it didn't work, then took the shop vac to them?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »
We searched online first for more info on how to use sulfur in the smoker. Like Iddee said, light up your smoker, good thick smoke, put a tablespoon of sulfur in, close it up. Go to the hive and smoke the entrance real good like for 4-5 minutes. I put a old towel around the entrance because it helped direct more of the sulfur smoke straight into the entrance, it was a little windy. I did three sulfur smokes in one afternoon. By that evening I didn't think it had any effect on the bees. I left the hive alone overnight. By morning the entrance was blocked by dead bees. However, I knocked on the hive and there was still a definate buzz. I got our shop vac and vacuumed out the entrance... then I took the lid off and vacuum as many live bees as I could get out. I got them all. Mission accomplished  ;)  Then I got my grandsons toy trumpet and very slowly walked by the other hives playing Taps, pulling the shopvac behind me... 

Seems this recipe is good for a hive that is one deep or maybe 2 deeps of bees, no more than that. My hive was 5 boxes tall and I think the sulfur only got to the bees on the bottom portion of the hive.

There is peace in the Queendom  :)

There Is Peace In The Queendom