Author Topic: Hives With No Brood?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Hives With No Brood?
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:06 am »
Going through my hives i found 3 hives so far that are packed with bees from top to bottom and no brood??? I'm thinking they might have swarmed and the brood all hatched out and the new queen hasn't started laying yet? or something happened to her on her maiden flights? These hives are in different yards,one is #1 deep with 2 med. supers #2 is 2 deeps, #3 is 2 deeps and 1 med. super. To many bees in the hives to have a chance to find a queen, all 3 were mean, but it was misting rain when i went into them, normally i wouldn't of went into them, but i had driven 60 miles to check them out ??? Ouch, Ouch. What do you think is going on?? Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Hives With No Brood?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:45:11 am »
Jack Your guess is as good as anyone else's is. You know that until you go through the hive and find the cause or evidence to support your suspicions you wont know for sure. You Have already speculated as to the cause,Let us know what you find when you get the inspection done.

You could try and talk those 2 experienced beek's (I understand they are only 900 miles away) to come and help with the diagnostics!!!
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:11:59 am »
Apis,  :o I don' think so, one of them is still debating to come and beat me up. :laugh: If he does? i might be in trouble, i got my Black Belt out and it won't go around me anymore. ??? Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:54 am »
"i got my Black Belt out and it won't go around me anymore. ??? Jack"

.................. :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:14 am »
Hey squirt, glad to see your back, hope the hip is healed and your back in the fighting mode. :yes: If perry comes calling i'll call you down to do my light work, i'll be busy working bees in the deep woods. Your buddy , Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »
LOL jack!  my hips aren't quite healed yet, but they are well on the way.....fighting mode?  i don't fight jack, i just poke fun......especially at you!...... :D

i so much enjoy your posts jack.  gotta tell you, me and the mister went through 5 hives this past weekend.  these are russian hives, they build slow, and one hive was in 3 deeps we had to kick down into a double deep.  first off the weather here can't make up it's mind what it's doing.........we have had cooler temps in april than normal.  the 5 hives i have only made it through because of the extra feed i put on them in the fall, and kept on.  all were heavy going into fall except the late queen in the 3 deep and all blew through stores (unusual for russians) but we had warm temps into december. 

we opened those hives, (still with shims and feed on), the first one, in one week had built comb between the inner lid, through the shim to the top of the frames of the second deep and the queen had been laying.........what a mess and what a mess of mad bees............ :D :D :D
ain't nothing blooming here, but there is pollen coming in, so not sure where these russkies are getting nectar?!  drones bumbling and flying around, amazing what happens in one week.  i didn't bother to go through the frames on every hive, saw enough to know i have good queens.
the hive with the 3 deeps?!  getting it down to 2?............lol, not one of my favorite things to do in the spring with a bazillion mad bees but we managed to get it done..........looking for a queen in a bazillion mass of flying mad bees? not doing it............ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 08:24:25 pm »
 >:(    >:(    >:(    >:(
   Dag NABBIT Jack! I just spit rum and coke all over my stupid keyboard!!
   I sit down from a LONG HARD DAY.. a day, in which.. I HAD to do my own painting... need I say more?  Been going for a little over 12 hours without stopping.. so here I have a rum and coke, nopt a SIP from it yet as i sit down and start to read...

"i got my Black Belt out and it won't go around me anymore. ??? Jack"

DESPITE the forceful ejection of rum and coke through my nose... That there was funny! I dont care what ANYONE says.....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*