Author Topic: What blooms where and when  (Read 136179 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: What blooms where and when
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
The air is full of the sweet smell of Multifloral rose(sp?) and i've heard some beeks say they see bees on it? There is tons of the stuff around my area, but i've never seen a bee on it? From the way it smells, if i was a bee i would be drawn to it. ;D . The cold winter done the Black Locust trees in (no bloom) my fields and neighbors all around is white with Dutch clover and the bees are all over it. The Catalpa trees have buds ready to bloom (i have 6 of them), but the honey bees don't visit them much, only Bumbles and Wasp hit them hard?? Jack

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 09:45:23 am »
The Black Locust never bloomed this year? right now the sweet clover and dutch clover are still in bloom. The Button bush is blooming and the Vitex bushes are budding out. The first Buckwheat bloom is going to seed, i will wait for the seed to harden and disc it under for another bloom in 26 days, Might get 3 blooms from it this year. 8) Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

Have quite a few of the multiflower rose bushes down along the bottom and like you said, they are in full bloom..   Don't see many bees on it either..   THe mustard, thistle and clovers are going wild. Thinking the bees are more drawn to that. Plenty of rain, verging on the edge of too much. It has the blooming plants in overdrive, and so are the bees..   
   I have 26 hives here in the home yard..  I don't like going over 20, but this year none of them are having difficulty bringing the nectar in..  Last year at this time I was starting to feed..
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 09:54:21 am »
This has been one of the best Dutch clover years i've had, the girls are on it mourning till night. The neighbor across the road hasn't had time to cut his Alfalfa that has been in bloom going on two weeks now ;D My gain his loss. but i'll give him a quart of honey. :D Jack

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 11:14:36 pm »
Lots of white clover here but my hives here at home ain't doing much. Their just getting back queen right from a double  supersedure.
Yellow sweet clover is done. White sweet clover is still blooming but not enough nearby to help.

I saw one bloom on a Buckbrush a couple days ago.

My hive at Sparta is working something hard. Lots of milkweed and Buckbrush that hasn't started blooming yet. Hope they get the honey capped before the bears find them.

Lots of Ironweed here around the house that will bloom before too long.

Late frost got the redbuds and the honey locust here. I'm expecting a good weed crop so I'm not giving up yet.
My hives at walnut grove and bolivar are putting on a little but not setting any records.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:21 am »
Hey Woody, i mowed my iron weed in the back pasture, i have never seen a bee on iron weed? Don't know if there are different types like goldenrod or not? i see very little action on the goldenrod around here. Don't know what color the honey will be this year, but the girls have been and still are all over the dutch clover this year ??? Jack

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »
I see bees on Ironweed here. I don't know if it's much of a producer. I doubt it. As long as white clover is blooming mine tend to remain loyal and bypass everything else. With all the rain I suspect white clover may bloom most of the summer.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:17 am »
Still getting the dutch clover blooming here..   I try not to mow the yard as often, let it start to go dry,then mow again, in a couple of days there are more white clover heads poking up through the grass..   Been a wet spring summer so far, the river is OUT, the ponds are full. Been a good year for getting hives started.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »
Yeah, their working my yard hard. I've been mowing half at a time. When the mowed half starts blooming I mow the other half.
Last night I had to mow it with a sickle mower. The chickens were getting lost in it.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »
I know the flow has been over for several weeks now in my area. I still see bees bringing in pollen and was wondering what they might be getting right now. As I was driving around, I still see indian blanket and quite a bit of this little flower.

This is partridge pea. Dont' really see it much in the fields, just mostly on roadsides. Don't know if the bees work it, but I bet they try. Looking it up, it is not supposed to be fed to cattle because the foliage can be poisonous. Does anyone else have this around their place?

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »
I don't have any partridge pea here that I know of. I did see a bee working the Buckbrush today. I only saw one bloom that was actually open but to be fair I had to put my reading glasses on to see the little booger.
They are so tiny. Until I got bees I didn't know Buckbrush had blooms. It's a good thing there's lots of them.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:29 pm »
Ironweed is starting to bloom pretty good here. I made a little circle in the field and saw a few bees working it.

It's been awhile since I looked it up but I believe there are different types.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
We got a small shower here yesterday afternoon and today the bees are on the Ironweed like white on rice.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »
Woody, what time of day do you see the bees on Iron weed? or does it make a difference? Jack

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »
I've been working 6 days a week so I only take a walk around 5:30/6:00 in the evening. It must not be much of a producer. I've got a lot of it here and the girls have been working it hard but I checked a couple hives on Sunday and while they have plenty of fresh necter in the brood nest I'm not seeing much surplus.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:09 am »
Went through 3+ weeks without rain and nothing in bloom. Getting rain now, the golden rod is in bloom ( we must have a different type) rarely see bees working it?? The aster, Beefsteak mint, Spanish needle, and neighbors Alfalfa should be next. Jack

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:48 am »
The bees are working the goldenrod?? First time i've seen that many bees on it. Jack

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »
The Aster bloom was about over, but the 21F temp. last night finished them off :o. I don't like Perry and Squirts weather, but i hope now that it stays in the 50F and 40F till spring (Yeh right). With the late warm weather and not much for the bees to collect, my heavy hives were getting light and i had to put feed on some. As my buddy perry says, it's worry time. ;D Jack

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 06:22:48 pm »

Here is my first peach bloom.  It was 30 degrees F this morning, but these blooms seem to have lived through it.  There will be a few thousand more of these blooms in the next week or so.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 06:34:21 pm »
Peaches are quite ready to bloom yet here in north Texas, but I have seen a little pink on the buds.