Author Topic: Price of Beef  (Read 14524 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Price of Beef
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 12:50:44 am »
My wife.daughter, and son can shoot there 22 rifles, take the spent shells and put them on cedar tree limbs, back off 25 to 30ft. and shoot them off with open sights. 8) My sons daughters have both killed deer and turkey and are avid fishing girls, they like to pick veggies and fruit at grandpa's but have never got into producing it. They are in to many sports (one is 13yrs old and the other is 10) to get into bees and gardening. My daughters two sons hunt and fish, her daughter likes to fish, but not much on hunting, shes one of those quite ones that likes to read and hang around her grandpa in the garden and they have there own, so if it comes to taking care of there self and others, i think they could survive  :yes: Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 12:58:10 am »
what jack said.....
growing up we lived off the land, my father hunted and fished and taught us kids to hunt and fish, (as did my mother's father and her grandmother). we also had a large garden. we picked wild berries for jams and syrups. my mother didn't buy bread, eggs, milk, beef,chicken, fish or vegetables in the stores.  milk, cream and eggs came from my great uncle, and maybe a chicken or two. btw, his ranch/farm was on one of the best trout rivers in montana......and a good catfish stream close to where we lived.

now things are different in many ways.  folks really don't appreciate or take for granted where food comes from; for example.... wouldn't have a clue how to bake bread without a bread maker or a grocery store. don't know how to grow their own vegetables, don't care, and don't know how to can. what get's me fired up are rogue hunters poaching and wasting an animal for a rack, or those that over fish a limit. i digress, but sure does burn my backside.

we enjoy wild game and fish. we garden and can. we keep bees. we buy eggs from the amish or a neighbor. we purchase a half a beef (black angus) every year, for the last 20 years from a local farmer, sure beats what you can buy in the store. we have venison in the freezer every year and we were given some elk sausage and sticks in our travels in montana this past summer.  the sausage is gone, still have some sticks......hmmm, it sure was good!  and once in awhile we enjoy some fish that we caught or someone shared with us.  life is good!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:26 am »
Grandpa walked with me to the target, and gave me a smile of approval, then he pulled the target off the stump.. it lay horizontally, we had the target on the flat where the chainsaw had cut the tree..  Without the target, you could see the rings, and as the tree dried it had split in several places, radiating toward the center..  He took a .22 shell and pushed it, bullet first into one of those splits, leaving only the rimmed part visible.
   "Hit that 75% of the time, and you can brag."

It took me another 15 years to be able to hit that tiny .22 regularly.. the mild POP making it apparent you did the job even at 100 yards..  I found the secret to success, was not in my method of shooting, but in owning a gun that could make the shot. Owning a gun that is MOA capable is not good enough to hit a .22 shell base. It has to shoot sub MOA groups...   However, as difficult as it is to find .22 shells, i wouldnt waste them like that today.. 
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:10 pm »
I remember when .22 cartridges were 35 cents each.  I must have shot a million rounds growing up on the small ranch.  Currently, they are both expensive and hard to find.  I keep them on hand for the grandsons, ages 12 and 14.  And I sometimes sit on the ranch porch and send a few rounds down range.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »
ARE YOU SERIOUS??

Don't you mean .35 for a box of 50?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 11:33:19 pm »
That's what i was thinking iddee,but i'm older than Lazy. i remember buying bricks (10 boxes of 50) for 3 or 4 dollars? Jack