Author Topic: Korean evodia Tree  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Korean evodia Tree
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:30 am »
Fall is a great time to plant trees.
Last spring a fellow beekeeper dug up a sprout from under his Korean evodia, aka Bee Bee Tree, for me.  I got it home and potted it. It has done well over the summer.  It focused on root growth rather than top growth so it's only about 10" tall. 
I called the city Arborist to ask about planting my little tree in the park next to my house.  He was very pleased and said that there were only 2 others in the city.  They are in a cemetery.  He came out and we decided where to plant it.  He will arrange for the city workers to come out and mulch it and stake it.  With out the mulch and stake the mowing team will mow it down.  The location is in a popular area next to my house and about 10 ft. from the walking path.  I planted it yesterday and I am a little concerned because it looks venerable there.  I believe they are difficult to transplant so we will see what happens. 
The 5 black locust that I planted in the park about 5 years ago are looking great!  I can't believe how they have grown.  I am hoping for blooms next spring.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Korean evodia Tree
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:06:34 pm »
It’s great your city is willing to work with you on things like this.  I’m excited to see how it develops over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:46:36 pm »
Good news! I checked my little Bee Bee Tree yesterday.  It survived the bitterly cold winter spell we had in February. It is leafing out.  I made a collar for it to keep rabbits from eating it.

A neighbor asked me yesterday if it had survived.  So I thought I better check.  He offered me a Silver Maple volunteer from out of his yard if my little tree didn't live.  Ugh!  I told him we had plenty of silver maples in the area.  If you don't have experience with Silver Maple, lucky you! Also told him that the city arborist gave me permission to plant this variety of tree.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »
That is fantastic! I need a tree that can stay in a wine barrel for a period of years. I love dogwoods but I do have to find another home for them within about 10 years, where to new location has better dirt than our nasty hard pan.

Even a large shrub like bridal veil would work... I think. I have one planted from last summer, and I'll see if the bees like the blooms.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »
Here's my Bee Bee tree after 5 years.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:38:51 pm »
Cool! I'll look it up and see if it will make in our climate. Thanks Mr. Wizard

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
Oh no!  The repeated hard freezes we got earlier this week got my Bee Bee Tree.  There is a little bit of green left on the leaves, but 95% looks like frost damage.  Fingers crossed that it pulls through.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 10:02:16 pm »