Author Topic: Gave up  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Dunkel

Gave up
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
I need to pull nucs from about ten hives just to open them up from my over feeding last fall and a mild winter. I have given up on the weather for grafting. Cold and severe winds have put my grafting hopes on hold.

I did how ever pull a queen from a booming hive. Hoping for a few queen cells by next week to relieve a little pressure.  Snow in the forecast puts a damper on  things.  Drone brood and queen cups say it's coming but weather man says I'm crazy.

I am second guessing my decision to pull her but they should pull some great cells, that is if placed where I can get them. Probably should have notched some.  I guess I'm just venting but I am ready to get going.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Gave up
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:53:47 am »
Agree with you completely....   bees are already ahead of the normal time line here, I NEED to get into the hives, but HIGH winds and 50 degree temps are holding me back. There will come a point when I HAVE to get into them, cool weather and high winds or not. Not looking forward to that, but very glad I have GOOD bee suits.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »
Checked on the hive and they have drawn 11 queen cells. Some of the best weren't capped yet, but almost.  I am going to make up some nucs on Tuesday.  Getting the cloake board ready for next weekend to start grafting.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 05:56:43 pm »
Are there drones flying in your area yet?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »
Yes, Lots in each hive, and lots of hatching brood.

Offline rookie2531

• Hives2HoneyFarm
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 07:36:20 pm »
I too would have grafted, but the weather put a stop to that. I did however, sell my overwintered nucs on Easter weekend and split the cells up from that. They should be mating tomorrow through Wednesday. I hope some of those smaller nucs was able to keep.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:20:37 pm »
I'm going to try to make up nucs tomorrow evening.  Kinda worried though.  Wife had a virus all night, every hour on the hour.  I'm not feeling right tonight.  Maybe baked beans  ;)

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:34 am »
Made up 5 yesterday, weather turning cold sure messed me up.  I think I have already had a swarm and two of the ones I pulled had swarm cells.  I found the queen in one still and pulled her. Going to try to cut out cells today, and go through others if I am able.

Pulled my back out hooking up a trailer :-[ .  I can't do in the spring what I could do in the fall.  My only dread about raising queens, is that something always comes up when the time comes to place them.  Oh well, whats life without frustration :)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:58:48 am »
Are you better today Dunkel?  I hope so.  :)

Have you considered an artificial swarm?  You can end up with a NUC if that is what you want, or yo can recombine later on.
Lee_Burough

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:23 am »
Pulling for you Dunkel (absolutely no pun intended) Hope you are feeling better!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 11:37:39 am »
Thanks guys, advil was kicking in about the time my dad came back with the trailer.  Loaded with three ton of fertilize. Dad can't hear so well especially in a diesel truck.  I have no idea and he doesn't either when the blow out occured :o  I didn't know rims could get so small. :D  Oh well. warming up for bees :D  This should be a hoot.

btw Lbrou I did put the one in a nuc yesterday.  I hope I can remember which one. I'm afraid I will have more today in that same condition or worse.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 04:19:59 pm »
For giggles, I've linked a cute explanation of the artificial swarm HERE.  Check it out! You must download it to see the hive manipulations.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »
I just watched a few videos on a taranov swarm method that sort of seems similar.  Very interesting.

On second glance it is different, I may have to try that in a day or so on a couple.  Thanks Lburou!

I cut the queen cells and got them placed.  Back did pretty good until I went to put on the parking brake, back to square one.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:49 pm »
I need to start moving a few for some room on either side to try that.  Saw some queen cups in about three or four this evening that may of had eggs.  On my knees I could not get the sun just right :-\\  Going to have to pack some cheaters ;)