Author Topic: Trying to understand our good friends to the north (Tundra Division)  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Trying to understand our good friends to the north (Tundra Division)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
As soon as you stop trying to understand us, you will,eh?  ;D
We would tell you our secret, but we're too polite.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »
They are just such colourful folks, eh!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:29 pm »
In the interest of equality, here's some help in understanding us down here (south of I-40):

(to) be too big for one’s britches – to think too highly of oneself britches – pants

can’t carry a tune in a bucket – to be unable to sing at all

clod-hopper – large, heavy shoes like those worn by farmers

(gosh) dang/darn/dern – a cleaner version of a well-known, blasphemous expletive   

dang/darn/dern tootin’ – an expression of agreement, as in, “Louella, you make the finest biscuits this side of the Mississippi.” “Dern tootin’.”

fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down – if someone is unbelievably unattractive, looking as though they’ve been hit with several ugly sticks, this is the proper way to express that ugliness

fixin’ to – getting ready/preparing to, as in, “I’m fixin’ to go to the Wal-Mart. Do y’all need anything?”

get up with – to contact or get together with

granny-slappin’ good (so good, it makes you want to slap your granny) – very good, usually delicious

gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

a hankerin’ for – a desire/craving for

high cotton – wealthy; successful (and maybe snobby)

hit with the ugly stick – if someone is quite unattractive, you can say they look like they’ve been hit with the ugly stick

honky-tonk – a bar, perhaps where country music is played live for folks to dance

hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch – very hot

how-do – shortened form of “How do you do?”

If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

kin/kinfolk – family, especially extended family

knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look how grown-up you are now!”

lick – (noun) any amount at all, usually used in negative sentences such as, “I didn’t get a lick of work done today because my boss kept calling me in for meetings.” (verb) To beat up, as in, “I licked him good that time.”

like herding cats – anything that is difficult to do, but especially anything that requires organizing difficult people (like small children)

mash – to press or push, as in, “Mash that green button and turn on the computer.”

(to) need something like one needs a hole in the head – Obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it’s even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don’t need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.

ornery – difficult to deal with; stubborn; finicky

piddly/piddlin’ – a small amount (negative connotation)

poop or get off the pot – make a decision and take action

reckon – suppose, guess, as in, “I reckon we’ll see you at the reunion.”

right – very (often surprisingly); an adverb usually used to modify adjectives, as in, “You wouldn’t know it to look at him, but he’s a right good ball player.”

rough talk – to speak harshly

rubber-neck – to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.

skedaddle – to leave hurriedly

snug as a bug (in a rug) – very comfortable

sugar – affection, as in, “Come here and give me some sugar.”

sweet talk – to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want

tater – potato

tore up – broken/destroyed, as in, “I came home to find the curtains all tore up,” or, “My knee has been tore up since that skiing accident back in ’93.”

uppity – snobby

used to could – used to be able to, as in, “I can’t do a cartwheel any more, but I used to could.”

varmint – an animal (usually wild)

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. – an expression of surprise, shock and/or disbelief

y’all – a contraction of you + all. The plural form of y'all is "all y'all"

yankee – a person from the North

yapper – mouth

younguns – young people

you’uns – y’all

One that I can think of:

Pig - a Piggly Wiggly grocery store.  "I'm going to the Pig, you need anything?"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:52:19 pm by G3farms »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:27:22 pm »
Having lived in Alabama, California, Flordia, and Maine my language is ALL messed up.. I still use Reckon, and Yall frequently, and the puppy reference I recall as being a billy goat instead of a puppy...
   Down Maine.. they mostly transpose their "R's"   My wife drives off in her Cah.. but before she did that she had to go put her Brar on so she didnt get tangled in the steering wheel....   

;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:06:42 am »
Having lived in Alabama, California, Flordia, and Maine my language is ALL messed up.. I still use Reckon, and Yall frequently, and the puppy reference I recall as being a billy goat instead of a puppy...
   Down Maine.. they mostly transpose their "R's"   My wife drives off in her Cah.. but before she did that she had to go put her Brar on so she didnt get tangled in the steering wheel....   

;D

LOL  You should have heard me trying to speak German while I was over there in the army.  Hillbilly German was what I called it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:13 am »
Thanks to Bob & Doug McKenzie  "toque" has been in my vocab list for many years.  Drives my wife crazy  :-*

And don't forget the backbacon :P

Lazy,
Once had a girl that worked for me that was originally  from Louisiana.   I use to kid her all the time about "y'all" being singular  and "all y'all" being plural ;D

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:41:08 am »
heh Yep..  and no one has mentioned HAY is actually a greeting in the south.. sometimes its Hay Yall!  Its also what horses and cows eat..  this way if anyone ever goes down there and they hear Hay Yall!  they dont feel like an idiot looking for loose or baled hay...

feeling like an idiot....  not to change the subject.. but they have weird customs down in the south...
   Standing outside a Tom Thumb putting gas in my truck.. i hear the roar of plane engines and props... I look up.. and see an old DC3 heading STRAIGHT at me. JUST over the treetops, with SMOKE Bellowing out of both engines..  I dropped the nozzle and ran, Yelling like crazy to warn everyone else to run as well...  I dove into the ditch about the time that plane went overhead....   I watched it go past, and stood up, wiping the mud off my hands on my pants...  three people were laying on the pavement laughing.. one was leaning against his car, and another one was standing in the doorway of the store pointing at me while he told everyone what i just did...
       Yeah.....  the DC3 was spraying for mosquitoes...      :-[

back to the original Plot!!!!!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 01:11:51 am »
Yeah.....  the DC3 was spraying for mosquitoes...      :-[

That's pronounced skeeters and they're the state bird in a lot of southern states.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:59:52 am »
Thanks to Bob & Doug McKenzie  "toque" has been in my vocab list for many years.  Drives my wife crazy  :-*

Take off!  Beauty, ea?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:05 am »
skeeters?!  lol, we have two seasons up here.......SWAT and SHOVEL........right now we are in the shovel season.... ;D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor