Author Topic: Increase in small hive beetles?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Increase in small hive beetles?
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:25 pm »
Jack's post inquiring about everyone's honey flow got me to wondering if anyone had notice and any increases, decreases or no small hive beetles this year.  I ask because I have notice a large increase this year.  It's enough to make your skin crawl!  SHB traps are going in all my hives.  Has anyone noticed a change in the population of SHB?  If you have a problem, what are you going to do about it?

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Re: Increase in small hive beetles?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:10 pm »
Ive seen an increase in the last few weeks, but up until then they have been less than last year.

I'm in central Arkansas.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:54 pm »
I run the IPK beetle traps from green beehives on all my hives. As long as I keep oil in the traps I have no SHB problems.

If the trays fill up with crud I'll see a beetle in the hives. Otherwise I see dead ones in the bottom but no live ones.

I don't think I'm seeing as many in the trays as I usually do.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:27 am »
I run the IPK beetle traps from green beehives on all my hives. As long as I keep oil in the traps I have no SHB problems.

If the trays fill up with crud I'll see a beetle in the hives. Otherwise I see dead ones in the bottom but no live ones.

I don't think I'm seeing as many in the trays as I usually do.
Thanks for the tip Woody.  I was not familiar with that type of beetle trap.  I wonder if it would have an effect on varroa?
Are their shipping costs reasonable?

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »
The shipping cost are not reasonable if you order one. I think the price is around 27.00? My first one cost me 40.00 at my door.

Now I buy them 5 at a time. I think the last batch cost me 36.00 apiece.

I assume it would have the same effect on varroa as a screened bottom board. I've never treated and don't have any varroa problems. I'm sure it's probably a combination of reasons.

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »
Since I moved my hives in to the direct sunlight, my shb population has decreased to almost none at all. I rarely ever see one now in my hives.

Thanks Iddee for that suggestion / advice 4 years ago. It is still working.
Wayne

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »
Ive seen an increase in the last few weeks, but up until then they have been less than last year.

I'm in central Arkansas.
Same here.  Have only seen a couple dozen so far in about 15 hives.    :)
Lee_Burough

Offline rcannon

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:56:23 pm »
A strong hive and direct sunshine is the best defense I've found. I've seen a few this year, but only in weak hives.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:08:12 am »
SHB was first discovered in Kansas in Wichita Bullseye Bill had the first confirmed find of SHB in Kansas at Wichita I found the second In oxford about a week later.  They took off from there. A couple years later showing up in your area.   This year I havent seen near as many. I knew it would be a matter of time before the SHB got here with I-35  and I-135 being a major corridor for transporting bees from Texas to the Dakotas.  Just tonight I saw 3 semi loads of bees headed north. They must have been heavy hives as they wasn't stacked near as high as you normally see on Semis.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:19:31 am »
SHB was first discovered in Kansas in Wichita Bullseye Bill had the first confirmed find of SHB in Kansas at Wichita I found the second In oxford about a week later.  They took off from there. A couple years later showing up in your area.   This year I havent seen near as many. I knew it would be a matter of time before the SHB got here with I-35  and I-135 being a major corridor for transporting bees from Texas to the Dakotas.  Just tonight I saw 3 semi loads of bees headed north. They must have been heavy hives as they wasn't stacked near as high as you normally see on Semis.
Thanks Riverrat and everyone.  As I can see and hear traffic on I-35 from the house, I appreciate your comments. (I shudder to think what is going up and down that highway on a daily basis.  We are one traffic accident away from a crisis, I'm sure.)  I think SHB was in our area several years before some of the more seasoned beeks would come out and admit that they had seen them in their hives.  Maybe they were in denial or self conscious about their image as a good beekeepers.
It was about 4 years ago that I followed Iddee's advice and moved my hives into full sun.  I am just going to be aggressive with these danged pests.  I am going to find FatMan's video on making traps with Crisco as well as Beetle traps.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
I found boric acid on amazon for a decent price and it shipped pretty fast! Was the political signs that were a bit of a challenge.  Finally i broke down and recycled one from the side of the road. um you know the free stuff grab and dash.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:08 am »

"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
So an update on my plans for the shb issues. This past check i saw number were growing a bit more. took action by adding more beetle blasters. Upon further thought hubby and i will be building a beetle trap friday night. I want to be the most proactive about getting rid of them.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:45:13 am »
Was the political signs that were a bit of a challenge.  Finally i broke down and recycled one from the side of the road. um you know the free stuff grab and dash.
:D "grab and dash"
Yes, I've been noticing all these beetle traps popping up along the sides of the streets again.  Oh, we must be approaching election time again!

Offline Scott Derrick

• Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
I have major problems with hive beetles close to my home I'm even on red clay and quartz. It's in the middle of the woods and moist so I'm sure that's why. I've moved towards TBH. It seems the stronger the hive the better they keep them quarantined. I typically don't treat but as I was doing some research on traps, I found this product in Australia. Too bad we don't have it here. I think I'd give it a shot.

http://www.apithor.com.au/
Scott Derrick
Creator: Honey-B-Gone, Swarm Commander

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:34 am »
I have recently read that small hive beetles like compost piles.  I don't know for certain, but I would say they seek out the soft, warm environment to complete their life cycle.  I'm sorry, I don't know where I read that.  My hives, in the back yard, are 30 feet from the compost pile.  I have kept beetle blasters in all my hives this year.  It's so gratifying to see their little corpses floating in the oil.