Beekeeping > Do-It-Yourself Plans and Prints

Suggestions on a DIY water station for my bees

(1/4) > >>

Barry n Abbie:
It seems that the pool has become a favorite watering hole for the colonies.  I am looking for advice or plans on something I can put closer to the hives for water?  I would move the pool but 10,000 gallons of water, etc........too much work ;D

Wandering Man:
We had our bees "trained" to use our bird bath and a fountain before the last big rains came.  Then they went to the ponding water near the hive.  All the water is gone, and I've not seen them in our birdbath, fountain, or other watering holes I've set out for them.

My fear is that the neighbors have put out their above ground pool and the bees are using that.

I need to peek over the fence to see.  If so, I may have to ask the neighbors to keep the pool covered for a couple of days until the bees rediscover the water sources in their own backyard.

I've heard that once bees find a water source, it is hard to get them to switch.

I've also heard that some folk use poultry waterers:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-farms-poultry-drinker-1-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

riverbee:
unfortunately barry, the pool is going to be their watering hole. if you set anything else out, they will ignore, and also will ignore anything to close to the hive. (communication/location to their sisters).  you could try a boardman off the front.

efmesch:
A few years ago I had a water pipe into my house that burst.  After I repaired it, I was left with a small drip that would have required much too much work to fix, so I left it.  To my good fortune, my bees discovered it and, when the weather is hot and dry (that is most of the year), they do a good job of collecting the drops of water that form.  Then the ground below barely gets wet. The drip is always there so my bees never forget about its existence....and I don't have to prepare a "watering hole" for them.

Barry n Abbie:
Well I have picked up several chicken watering systems at 8 bucks apiece.  Going to put the winter cover back on the pool for a week in an attempt to convince the bees that the cement pond has dried up, hopefully I can switch them over to the chicken feeder watering holes. 

More to follow.......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version