Author Topic: Woman Learns basic woodworking building top bar hive  (Read 3872 times)

Offline ShannaRose

Woman Learns basic woodworking building top bar hive
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:04:45 pm »
I have been wanting to learn some basic woodworking- and like most women born in the 60's, my generation of females was not taught how to use power tools and to fix things.  Since I have been living off the grid in the coastal jungle of Hawaii for 20 years, I have had to learn basic plumbing, solar equipment issues, and many kinds of fix it problems.  I've learned as I've needed to along the way.  Woodworking and power tools was on the list, and a friend gave me a cheap set of battery powered circular saw, sawzall, and drill.  When I became a bee keeper and bought my first top bar hive for $250, I knew that would not be a sustainable option for me, as the bees reproduce non-stop here and splits or swarms happen every 3 months, lately in only 2 months. So I took it upon myself to learn, asked people questions along the way.  Had to go 4 times to get the right size of Carriage bolts! The saw is quite small and I was able to handle it with my small hands, though cutting small pieces seemed a bit dangerous- luckily no lost fingers! I bought tools as needed, and was happy to invest in a Ryobi drill and driver set which are a pleasure to work with.

I know all this is old hat to most of the guys on this site.  To me, learning woodworking was like learning to sew on a sewing machine- having to rip things out and start over again, patch up spots, and be happy with less than perfect.  In the end the 15 bar small hive (for splits) I made was almost square- the tiny gap is negligible.  I gave myself lots of time, and every evening listened to a book on tape while I worked in my workshop.  Though I don't plan to go into the hive building biz, I felt quite proud of myself and having the confidence that I can make my own hives lets me know that I can multiply my apiary as much as I want to.  Next one will take 1/10th of the time!

For top bars I used 1 1/2" lumber and thats the size of my bars and it works out fine, as I don't have the tools to rip to 1 3/8.

A note on top bar guides.  I have done lots of reading on this, and my experience is limited, but dipping in beeswax is ill advised by many because it prevents a strong attachment.  Les Crowder only uses wooden guides on the first few and straight bars on the rest.  He also suggests using quarter round molding, which is glued and nailed on.  I'm trying both and will be interested to find out what works.  Straight combs seems a lot more about intense management than comb guides.  I went into someones hive that had been ignored for too long and the bees also ignored the comb guides and built willy nilly like they were in a tree!

I encourage women to learn to use power tools- it's empowering!
Shanna Rose

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Woman Learns basic woodworking building top bar hive
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:28:51 pm »
Welcome to the "club"!  Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I know I feel fortunate to have ability to build my own equipment. It is wonderful to hear you will be doing so again.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:16:35 am »
Glad your stepping up to the plate!  Cant wait to hear how it all goes!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:24 am »
shanna rose..........

first..........

like zweefer said, thanks for sharing you experience with us.......keep on building!!!!
i grew up mostly in a household full brothers, and my father was a welder and a carpenter, so i learned to use many different tools, although i can't say i excelled at welding............. :D 
(no interest in it)
building your own equipment gives great satisfaction, and also repairs!

i think most women who do their own woodworking and use power tools have ALL of their fingers rather than the guys though.............. :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:59:31 am »
Shanna, I think you'll find that this forum isn't what one might call "sexist", in spite of boasting many members born before the 1960's.   Female and male Beeks are held to the same standards and no one expects more or less from either sex in beekeeeping knowledge or proficiency. 
That having been said, I'm glad to hear that you have kept all your fingers.  Please don't change that situation,  Too many of our members can't boast that (I would consider even one lost digit to be too many).

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:16 am »
Shanna, my mother was born in 1912. She taught me mechanics from the age of 5, putting wheels back on my little red wagon. Bicycles came later. Women can do whatever they set their mind to, and most things better than men.

Her motto........

Dream it,

Want it,

Do it.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:56:12 am »
ShannaRose:

I can't get over year around honey production and splits every two to three months.  WOW!  You have a fascinating story: living off the grid, year around honey production, wood working and even top bar hives is not the norm.  Take heed of Ef's message: remember "safety is no accident."  I assume that by living off the grid you may live in an area where emergency care is not immediately accessible.  If that's the case be very careful as power saw wounds may bleed excessively.

Again welcome aboard, your stories are a breath of fresh air to this old engineer.