Author Topic: Feeding Sugar Syrup Late Winter  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Feeding Sugar Syrup Late Winter
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:04:25 am »
We here in Calif are having an extended false spring. Many of our hives in the county are already ramping up. And our town has had it's first swarm. Way Too Early! I know that there is still time to get snow storms. Is it too early to put internal syrup feeders in the hives?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Feeding Sugar Syrup Late Winter
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:37:26 am »
And our town has had it's first swarm. 

Is it too early to put internal syrup feeders in the hives?

Say What?!!

1. Are they at risk for starvation? 
Then feed, always to prevent losing the colony.

2. Are there nectar and pollen sources available?  Are there drones available?
Without drones, the queen cells left behind won't be able to mate.

3. Is it warm enough to do an inspection to see how many frames of brood is in your colonies?
If you have some colonies filled to the brim, and some that are not, you can swap frames of brood with a weaker colony's empty frame(s) to even things up.  Locate your queens 1st!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:55:37 pm »
Jen,
I have the same problem. Temps were in the 50s and 60s in the last week and bees were bringing in lots of yellow pollen. Next warm day I'm going to check stores and add syrup feeders if needed.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:27 am »
Hi Baker and Neil, I keep winter patties and sugar on all winter long every winter. It's been so nice for so long that I was wondering if I could put syrup internally. If we get a snow storm and they bees can't get out for awhile, would syrup internally cause mold or too much condensation? I haven't used internal feeders before.

Sorry, I was up too late last night when I made that first post  ;)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:25:49 am »
Jen, as you know, beekeeping is geographical.  I will say that some keeps around here have begun to put 1:1 sugar syrup on their hives to stimulate the queen and egg laying.  Our temperatures are all over the place bouncing between the daytime highs of 20's and 60's.  I have kept sugar cakes on all winter as well because a few colonies were very light going into winter.  The bees keep eating them, so I keep putting them on!  I am not quite ready to put sugar syrup on.  I have one colony that I am seeing signs of moisture condensation and mold.   :sad: I have tried to increase the air flow on that hive.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:15:47 pm »
Thanks you guys, that helped me make up my mind. No sugar syrup for awhile. Many of us here are just finishing up our winter patties and putting on brood patties. I'll stay with that for awhile longer.  :)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:45:11 pm »
Yes , our temps. have been swinging like I've never seen. Maples in bloom, cherry, pear . I know not. all are nectar producer's. Snow yesterday 37 degrees and snowing. But. I've only had to add sugar cake to 5 on 5 deep with 2 - 5 meds. with 2 " shim and (cakes).
Those cordovians are obviously prolific. Got fingers crossed. Now I'm going to recheck , when I can. All hives.