Author Topic: Small Hive beetles  (Read 2199 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Small Hive beetles
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »
I live in central Florida  as you all know, but small hive beetles are endemic here. I am having great difficulty establishing nucs. Small hive beetles invade the colonies while under populated  and slimes  them in in very short order.in less then a week the bottom board was covered with beetle larvae  and sugar ants. I salvaged the queen and workforce  reunited with parent colony, queen is caged and queen excluder under the super
I always use upper entrance and it's heavily used I will wait a week and release the queen. Any ideas would be most welcome
 Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Small Hive beetles
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »
You might try one of these,

https://beezneedz.com/product/hive-top-beetle-trap-dry-feeder/

along with an oil tray bottom board.

The best thing, tho, is a few shakes of extra bees to cover all frames in the nuc, and full sun all day.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:24:28 am »
I'm stuck with where  I am location wise
The bees have about 60% done during the course of the day but there are many large oak trees in the area that at least partially shade  the colonies.  The parent company has large numbers of hive beetles but is a very strong blooming colony  bees  run the small hive beetle ragged. We've been getting rain everyday in the tanning effect on the nectar flow and we might not get what we thought honey wise. This is the second attempt of starting a nuc I probably need I'm going to do that to start the nuc much earlier in the year when beetle populations are low.

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline rcannon

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
I can't make 5 frame splits this time of year. Between the hive beetles,wax moths and robbing, I just can't make them survive. The only way I found for fall splits is to split strong hives evenly, so that the population is high and all the splits are about equal in strength. Any weakness is heavily exploited in the fall.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:19 pm »
Had to additionally deal with tiny sugar ants that come in mind boggling numbers.  Hive beetles set the stage for the ants to come.