Author Topic: Understanding Wax Moths 101  (Read 2804 times)

Offline BeekeeperRob

Understanding Wax Moths 101
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:20:14 am »
All the info needed on wax moths and their control

http://www.afuturewithbees.com/resources/protect-your-bees/51-understanding-lesser-wax-moths-in-beekeeping

#savethebees #afuturewithbees #bees

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Understanding Wax Moths 101
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:35:22 am »
Wax moth predation is important in my area.  Its good to be smart about wax moths Rob.  The best paper I've found is from Canada...Here is a link I'm sure you will find interesting and useful.  It contains essential info about the biology of the wax moth, including temperatures necessary to control it.  HTH   :-)

P.S.  Bacillus Thuringiensis is a natural pesticide that works against wax moth larvae. Search amazon, ebay or use google to find a supplier. Below is a product description from an ebay ad by a European seller describing its use.

Quote from: ebay auction
B401 a preventative treatment that controls wax moth.
B401

B401 (also known as Certan) is a preventative treatment that controls wax moth. It is a safe and environmentally friendly product based on a concentrated solution of Bacillus thuringiensis, a micro-organism. B401 is used after the honey harvest, when the frames are stored and kills young wax moth larvae. It must therefore be used before a wax moth infestation. A single application will provide 100% efficacy against wax moth right up through to the following season.
B401 comes in 120ml.

B401 should be used after the honey harvest, when the frames are stored. Protection will be effective right through to the following season.

B401 can also be used to protect decoy or empty hives.

B401 kills only young wax moth larvae and must be used as a preventative before the combs are infested.

How to use B401
Preparation
· B401 is made of spores from Bacillus thuringiensis and must be diluted in water to 5% (ie 1 volume of B401 for 19 volumes of water).
· Shake the bottle of B401 vigorously before adding the required amount to the corresponding water volume and mixing.
· Once diluted, the solution must be used the same day. Before mixing, calculate the amount of product required to treat the desired number of frames.
Quantities
For up to 100% wax moth control, apply 1.5ml of solution per 10 centimetres squared of comb, on both sides of the frame. For example, one 120ml B401 bottle will treat 50-70 Dadant brood frames or 10-15 Dadant supers or 70-100 Langstroth brood frames.

Applying B401
· Shake the bottle before use.
· Apply evenly with a sprayer over both sides of the frame.
· Allow the frames to dry in an aired room before storing.
How to store B401
B401 should be stored at a temperature between 5°C and 20°C. If stored in a cool place (under 12°C) and in its well-sealed original bottle, B401 can be kept for several years.

Safety of B401
Unlike paradichlorobenzene, which is a toxic product and forbidden in some countries for any agricultural use, B401 does not leave any residue in the wax or the honey.

B401 is harmless to bee larvae and adult bees.

Aizawai serotype 7 (present in B401) is the sole variety of Bacillus thuringiensis to give excellent results against wax moth. Some other types of Bacillus thuringiensis are toxic to humans & bees.
What is B401?
B401 is a concentrated solution of Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai, a micro-organism, harmless to man & honeybee alike.

B401 has up to 100 % efficacy against the larvae of the wax moth (Galleria mellonella).
B401 is a 100% biological product that leaves no residue in wax or honey, does not alter the taste of honey, and is environmentally friendly. B401 is suitable for organic farming in accordance with Council Regulation EEC No 2092/91 modified on 24th June 1991.

P.P.S.  This link from Cornell University is very informative and enlightens us about Bt a.

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) takes many forms. The form that kills wax moths is Bt, variant aizawa (Bt a.).

HTH :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:03:43 pm by Lburou »
Lee_Burough

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:30 pm »
Reading your post, Lee, jogged my memory and brought forth recollections of another biological control organism that helps destroy wax moth larvae.  On many occasions I have seen tiny parasitic wasps searching among wax moth larvae in my infested hives.  I never identified the species in my hives, but, in the literature, I have come across the name (although it may be a different species than the one I have seen in Israel):  Apanteles galleriae Wilkinson (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) as a wax moth parasitoid.  The females lay their eggs inside the wax moth larvae.  The tiny wasps complete their development inside the larvae, feeding on their insides as they grow and, in the process, kill the wax moths.
In my opinion, the BT is much more effective, but  biological control becomes more and more efficient as the number and variety of natural control agents increases.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
great post lee and great info, thank you!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:54:37 am »
... Apanteles galleriae Wilkinson (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) as a wax moth parasitoid.  The females lay their eggs inside the wax moth larvae.  The tiny wasps complete their development inside the larvae, feeding on their insides as they grow and, in the process, kill the wax moths....
I could use a few of those,... I guess I'd really need a large number of those.  Any improperly stored combs are promptly devoured at my house.  Its always a pleasure to participate RB.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:55:37 am by Lburou »
Lee_Burough