Author Topic: Bt  (Read 2105 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Bt
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:17:49 pm »
I see Xen Tari bt for sale on Amazon,have any one bought it from Amazon? is this the same product that Zulu sells for his cabbage ?  ;D Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Bt
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »
Yes, but he will sell smaller amounts. Most hobbyist wouldn't use a pound of it in 20 years.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:42:05 pm »
Thanks iddee, i had club members ask me if it was the same product. I had one member ask me how many years should he wait before he retreats with bt, that he lost several frames of drawn comb to wax moths in the 3rd year? I told him i have some that i haven't retreated i know for 5 years or more and haven't had any problems?? How do you figure??? Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
I would guess he didn't get complete coverage and the moths didn't find the bare spots the first 2 years.

That's only a guess.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »
Another guess--frames contained honey (anti-bacterial), lost much of the BT protection, BT not reapplied after frames contained honey.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
For the past two years, since I bought BT through Zulu, I've been making it a practice to spray my frames with BT after I extract their honey.  To me, it looks like the practice is working.  As I come across frames that haven't been sprayed (primarily, from the brood nest) I can find wax moth damages, whereas the frames used for honey have been almost totally free of damage, 
One hive that died out on me showed the difference very clearly, where the unsprayed brood box frames, unprotected by the absence of bees, were moth eaten, while the upper frames from the honey supers were pretty much untouched. 
I did, however, seem to notice a difference in the susceptibility of the lesser wax moth, as compared to the greater wax moths.  The lesser wax moths seemed to be less sensitive to BT and were quite numerous in some places. 
My apologies for being a bit vague about the description of the differences, but, in the process of rushing through the hives, I didn't make any written notes that could testify numerically to my observations. 
Has any one else noticed a diferrence in the control that BT gives to the two different species of wax moths?

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 06:41:43 pm »
A mentor of mine (not with us anymore) would stack his empty honey supers together and tape the edges with masking tape. They never had brood in them and the comb stayed a light color, he said he never had wax moth get into the light colored comb? that the wax moth was after brood comb where the cocoons left from the bees in the cells and pollen is what they were after and he stored them with para moth balls. That was before BT, I have had wax moth attack foundation in nucs, but it was in nucs that had old dark brood comb in with it.Jack