Author Topic: Good Evening Post  (Read 105415 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Good Evening Post
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:23 am »
Amen Zweef, amen!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #381 on: October 06, 2016, 11:53:20 pm »
a late good evening everyone!

decided to fire up the good evening thread..........hey all, just post whatever here in the evening when you have time.  share what you have been doing or up to, or just plain say hey!  good evening from wherever you are!

me?
fall is here, started pouring rain here about 4:oo p.m., hummm, maybe later.......ya know, just as i was getting ready to fire up the charcoal grill.  so grilled in the pouring rain...........
it was actually cold enough that we had to turn a little heat on in the house. 

been busy, we have had some remodeling going on; making some candles; pouring some honey.......had a pretty good storm come through and almost took the mast (electrical) off the roof of the house. big mature tree fell on the main line in the back 40 and yanked the mast to the point where it broke off, pulled the fascia, gutters and siding out........ya know the adjuster, roofer/builder, gutter guy, electrician, and the electric company out here. 

we took a few days off and drove to st. cloud, minnesota to see wynonna judd in concert in a smaller venue (benefit concert)..........
she is a hoot! great entertainer, awesome voice, and good music!  and of course attitude.  if you haven't read up on her husband 'cactus' (drummer) check it out on google or you tube (documentary) lost a leg and crushed a hand in a motorcycle accident in the black hills. the docs said he would never play again.  the guy is a one man band on the drums and any other instrument he plays.........very talented!  amazing talent and amazing comeback! 

on the way back we did some antiquing.........i bought a match wheels jeep......... :D  too fun! (i'm a jeep head or whatever ya call it!)  AND an old coleman quicklite lantern dated 1928 in mint shape with the mica globe.  pretty cool!

bees are good; one hive a little lighter than i would like. gonna put shims on all the hives this weekend and some sugar bricks on just because.

saw a few juncos today...........for us that means.........W and S coming soon............... :D

have a good evening and a great weekend!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2016, 01:18:59 am »
pretty much everyone calls juncos snowbirds here-don't really see them without snow.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:30 am »
It's been cool in the mornings here as well. We turn the baseboards on for a few minutes to take the chill out, but we usually try to hold off firing up the ETS units until November first.
Once they are turned on there's no going back, it takes up to 48 hours to cool them down.
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:29 am »
Perry,  what's a ets ?

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #385 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:57 am »
I think it means Eat The Snow.  :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #386 on: October 07, 2016, 10:58:17 am »
Expensive thermal system...   :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #387 on: October 07, 2016, 10:56:38 pm »
............ :D
had to look up ETS myself.........wow! 

we replaced a gas wall heater in our city res.....house built in '62; a walk up rambler, the old wall gas heater in the lower level (entrance to our home) just plain wasn't working and wasn't very energy efficient, not to mention the little fan wobbled and made all sorts of  noise. we tried fixing it a couple times, replacing parts/fan and gave up. anyway we replaced it with a rinnai. wow what a difference. that heater set at 68 will heat the lower level and take the chill off and add heat to the upstairs before we ever have to turn the furnace on. runs quiet, wouldn't even know it's on. anyone looking for a great gas wall heater, with a lot of built in settings...... can't say enough about it. 

neil, the juncos/snowbirds show up here usually before it snows (migrating our way).........dang i dislike cold weather!
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2016, 10:42:00 pm »
Making sugar cakes, still feeding.. have to get into the hives tomorrow and see what they may still need if anything.   Need to get the hives prepped in the next couple of weeks. By then the crops will be out and I can get to the wood so I can begin cutting for winter.. That will take a couple weeks... and then.......   I planned to gain weight and stand inside while it snowed outside....  However.. My wife is buying a house, and as all houses do.. it needs work. floors, trim etc...  so I guess I am going to Maine where she can crack the whip..   :\'(
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
Back from a pleasant motorcycle trip with friends to Panna Maria, population "close to 100."  Their claim to fame is that they are the oldest Polish community in the U.S.  We had a great Turkey and dressing dinner, sponsored by their huge Catholic Church.  In honor of Canadian Thanksgiving?  Not sure why they served a Thanksgiving meal in October, but the food was good.  The weather was wonderful, Mid-80's without a lot of humidity, and very few clouds to keep us company on the twisty backroads between Victoria and Panna Maria.

Now it's time for a beer on the back porch, watching my bees.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2016, 01:42:23 am »
scott, i made sugar bricks..........first time the dang things fell apart on me when i dropped them out..........totally made me express non-disney language....... :D

first year in a long time i didn't have to feed any syrup to any of my hives!

gain weight?  well heck i gain weight and fat cells just standing still.......winter months gets worse unless i keep moving.......... :D

hope you stay with us wherever you are!

wandering man.........your motorcycle trip sounded very enjoyable! what do you ride/own for a motorcycle?  had to looke up panna maria..........

some interesting trivia! 
Forum Sponsor

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2016, 08:48:59 am »
It's not evening as I write this, but it seems like the appropriate spot.   :D

My sister and I took Mom out for her birthday.  We drove about an hour to Weston, Mo to see Cline's Opry.  Very entertaining.  They had a piano player that played boogie woogie and Jerry Lee Lewis style!  The Cline's built a theater inside a tobacco barn.  This place was huge.  It's a family operated show and many in the audience were repeat visitors.
I don't think a single tune was newer than 35 years old.  I would say they know what their audience likes.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2016, 05:21:35 pm »

wandering man.........your motorcycle trip sounded very enjoyable! what do you ride/own for a motorcycle?  had to looke up panna maria..........

some interesting trivia!

It's a Honda Goldwing.  I converted it to a Trike a couple of years ago when I was put on blood thinners.  I thought those were a permanent sentence.  Fortunately, they weren't.  But the independent rear suspension has been a great relief to my wife's back. 

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #393 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:12 pm »
Beautiful clear day today. Sweet Wife and I went to visit daughter child who is home and recuperating. She's looking much pinker and starting to walk around a bit. In a couple days I'm gonna get a pic of her in her WB t-shirt and post it to thank everyone for their prayers.
Took forever to drive home as Sweet Wife had to stop every half mile to harvest goldenrod.

Hope everyone here had a great day!
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #394 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:30 am »
Perry,  what's a ets ?

Electric Thermal Storage. We buy electricity between 11 pm and 7 am and all weekends and holidays for half price. Our hot water is set up on the same system. Power to the heaters and tank is off during the regular (expensive) part of the day.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #395 on: October 12, 2016, 03:14:04 pm »
We have time of use rates that whatever we peak at during the busy time of day is the rate we pay for the month. We save a lot with it if you work it right. Hot water is on timers during the night. Use the high current items like dryer or stove one at a time etc. We save enough we might could afford cable tv. :yes:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #396 on: October 18, 2016, 01:09:58 am »
cbt............if you have good internet..........skip the cable/dish thing get a roku.....

bakers, sounds like my kind of music!

wm great pic, awesome looking ride! you keep enjoying!
Forum Sponsor

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:09 pm »
Thanks, we are cable free by choice. We have a good HDTV antenna with many channels and a firestick and Amazon prime tv also. :yes: I'll look into it.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2016, 09:55:57 pm »
cbt, we don't have cable, ditched cable long time ago. too many problems. we have dish satellite........, might drop it after seeing what the roku does.....dish is good programming, good customer service.....when it snows or rains, lol, it goes out though.  we purchased a roku streaming stick (3500x?) some time back, finally got around to plugging it in and figuring it out (easy) and how to send audio to theater system/surround sound.  i am the designated 'electronics' wizard in my household.  actually it was simple. 

the roku stick i guess is a little better than the fire stick.  we get tons of channels, local, movies, news, sports, everything!  and amazon prime.  its awesome!  sort of a maze to find things in the beginning but pretty cool! i think these sticks sell for about $50 now, or less.  one thing though, fast internet speed, and we do have that. 
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:58 pm »
good evening and BOO ! ! !

happy halloween everyone........!
hope your bees are all settled in for fall/winter months, mine are still flying around on warmer days; been unseasonably warmer than normal, but i am not complaining, i love it! bees might go through stores a little, but will keep checking/hefting them and extra feed at the ready when they need it.

some new sugar brick recipe i tried, sorta similiar to what scott does (LazyBrpr) with a little more work........ my kitchen was a mess........well, and add beeswax all over the floor and everywhere else in close proximity from the candle making...... :D  i now work barefoot.......so i don't transfer beeswax through the house!........... :D

Forum Sponsor