Author Topic: New but  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
New but
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:01:20 pm »
New buy$250 .00

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: New but
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:49:36 am »
That equipment looks freshly painted, Mikey.  Did I beginner throw in the towel?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:29:21 am »
Yes

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:59:58 pm »
Was a 3 yr. old beek, didn't want any advice, so got tired of buying bee's every year. Got gloves , ultra breezey suit,hive tool, smoker, 5 stands,  15-20 boxes, inner covers,lids , 5 solid BB, 5 screen BB with oil trays,
a few front feeders, 5 Miller top feeders and last 4 pack of 10med-super foundation and 4 pack of 10 deep foundation still wrapped from Cbt . couldn't turn it down.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 06:03:33 pm »
That was 4 packs of 10 😄

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:21:19 pm »
Wow, such a deal.  Someone said the bail out period for new Beekeepers is 3-4 years!  Guess this individual supported that premise.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 07:54:27 pm »
when folks leave beekeeping it is normally a good deal for anyone who has the cash to buy what is left.  a good number seems to be 25% of the new price.  I have wondered what percentage of folks that start quit by year 3???

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:45:41 am »
I would be curious if there are any studies out there about the percentage of beekeepers that quit after the first couple of years.  I think it's a large number.  Those that give up seem to be at the 2nd and 3rd year timeline.  There are many reasons, of course, why beginners give up.  Not just colony failure.
Our local bee club has talked about the turn over we have and what we can do to help people be successful.  One problem, I feel, is we focus a lot of our efforts on beginning topics and the 2nd and 3rd year beekeepers lose interest in going to meetings.  There has to be a place where we are able to accommodate everyone.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »
Bump

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
Rather than beekeeping 101, maybe we need a forum, ""what to do this month and next"".  Then it would apply to all levels.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:48:03 pm »
Baker, I know this is an old post.
But your rite IMO. 3-4 yr. beeks understand, what they have spent $ on and what has been successful for them ( if they've been successful)  IMO there are some that want to learn and some that realize , there's more work to this than I thought. The ones that are not successful , seem to be the ones that fold. In my experience it was 3 yrs. of buying bee's with no success and$1000.00 of money , books, equipment,bee's and feed. I've had great advice from the best around here and on this site. IMO there is so much info to consider that it can be confusing.. And local beeks are a big help , if they are successful.
That being said ,  I've only seen a few beeks that can bee successful. And they are few and far between. I think that there is so many variables as the rite timing and what to do and when.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:50:19 pm »
Iddee, agree 100%

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 04:57:23 pm »
Mikey, glad you brought this topic back to the top of the list.
It was sheer stubborness, on my part, that kept me in beekeeping.  1st year I was successful, 2nd and 3rd I failed.  I always went to local bee club meetings, events, and beginner's classes.  I haven't missed a beginner's class in 11 years!  (Now I teach a segment of that class.) 

iddee:  What you should be doing with your bees this month is a great idea.  Beekeeping is regional though.  What Florida beekeepers are doing in February is totally different than beekeepers in Canada.  Our local bee club puts out a monthly newsletter and that information is always included in the newsletter.  Perhaps regional members could post what they are doing with their bees on a month by month basis?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:28 pm »
That's the thing, B13. Members in different areas would need to make monthly, "or more often", posts on what needs to be checked and done in their area.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:55:08 pm »
Last post on February 14th, and JUST came up as a new post?  it wasnt there yesterday, but its here today!   And.. yeah, new beekeepers really liek the step by step stuff to keep them going, and looking forward.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*