Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 44997 times)

Offline .30WCF

Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2022, 11:50:07 am »
Brown sugar and seasonings rubbed ribs just going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2022, 12:14:28 pm »

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2022, 01:18:35 pm »
Just rolled another log on. There is some nice thin smoke coming out. It was raining all night and this morning. I wasn’t sure I was gonna cook ribs today when I looked outside this morning. I could hear it raining when I woke up. Looks like it will be sunny the rest of the day.

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 02:02:31 pm »
Mid day snack.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:09:07 pm by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2022, 02:45:06 pm »
Mid day snack.

WHAT!  Where did you get a good-looking tomato this early in the season?!  I'm super jealous. 

I had to get creative for my lunch today, as there wasn't much around, so I took some leftover homefries and warmed them up in the microwave with leftover bacon and some Colby jack cheese, then topped with ketchup and ranch.  I call it "Fair-style Homefries".   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2022, 02:49:32 pm »
There is a farm down the road we get strawberries from. They grow and sell everything. Yesterday we had the corn, and strawberries from there and they grew these tomatoes in a greenhouse.

https://whitakerfarm.com/

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2022, 05:37:16 pm »
You can always tell a home grown deviled egg. I even took the egg carton from the bottom of the stack in the fridge. I think it’s 3-4 cartons high.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2022, 06:24:16 pm »
You can always tell a home grown deviled egg. I even took the egg carton from the bottom of the stack in the fridge. I think it’s 3-4 cartons high.

I'm the designated deviled egg maker in our household.  Boy, have I been there!  We're getting like 20 eggs a day right now, so we've had plenty of old eggs lately.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2022, 07:18:10 pm »

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2022, 07:42:47 pm »
You guys like Heinz KC too!  That's our favorite BBQ sauce for smoked stuff.  We can't seem to find it around here anymore and we're on our last bottle.  :o

I showed my mom your pictures and she just said, "Where's he live?  We're coming over!"  ;D

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2022, 07:50:03 pm »
You guys like Heinz KC too!  That's our favorite BBQ sauce for smoked stuff.  We can't seem to find it around here anymore and we're on our last bottle.  :o

I showed my mom your pictures and she just said, "Where's he live?  We're coming over!"  ;D
I like to dilute it with a little ACV.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2022, 08:07:20 pm »
I like to dilute it with a little ACV.
Of course you do.  :eusa_wall:

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2022, 11:05:43 pm »

I'm the designated deviled egg maker in our household.  Boy, have I been there!  We're getting like 20 eggs a day right now, so we've had plenty of old eggs lately.
Do you have a egg recipe you follow?
It’s hit or miss here.
These ones were pretty good. I minced some spicy dill chips and used a little of the brine, yellow mustard, real Mayo, S & P, and some get topped with smoked paprika. Seems not everyone in the house is a fan of paprika on a devils egg.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11:15:57 pm by .30WCF »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2022, 10:48:47 am »

Do you mean Heinz KC Masterpiece?  Created here in Kansas City?  It's on every grocery store shelf in this area!

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2022, 10:50:42 am »
I was out in KC last week. I shoulda picked you some up 15, if I knew you were having withdrawals.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2022, 11:06:19 am »
Do you mean Heinz KC Masterpiece?  Created here in Kansas City?  It's on every grocery store shelf in this area!
I'm not sure, it doesn't say Masterpiece on it.  Here is what we are talking about. 

Do you have a egg recipe you follow?
It’s hit or miss here.
These ones were pretty good. I minced some spicy dill chips and used a little of the brine, yellow mustard, real Mayo, S & P, and some get topped with smoked paprika. Seems not everyone in the house is a fan of paprika on a devils egg.
So we started out with this recipe.

We almost always use a dozen eggs or more, since we have a large family.  The thing is, since we've had our own chickens, I never end up with the same amount of eggs, because my mom would have varying numbers of hardboiled eggs on hand, and I always lose at least one or two whites due to the eggs not peeling well or the yokes being too far off-center.  So what I've taken to doing now is mostly just going by taste.  I take a big silverware tablespoon and add in a heaping spoonful each of mayo and miracle whip (you'll note on the recipe my mom has a note to use half miracle whip), then I measure out a customary tsp. of vinegar and mustard, stir that in, and then I taste it.  Then I'll eyeball however much more vinegar and mustard I think it needs, and occasionally a little more mayo if it seems dry.  Then salt and pepper to taste, and paprika the tops.   

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2022, 12:45:46 pm »
Gee!  You folks eat good!

Heinz has developed it's own KC style BBQ sauce.  That is all based on the KC Masterpiece brand.  Masterpiece is the label that really took off in popularity around the country.  Kansas City style sauce is thick, sweet, and smokey.  We have some famous BBQ restaurants that have been around for generations.  Everybody takes great pride in their original sauces (of course).  KC Masterpiece is similar to those but Masterpiece is usually sweeter and richer.  Local restaurants sauces usually have some kick to it. 
KC Masterpiece is rather pricey, but worth it.  Last time I checked, Heinz sells for a lot less.  If you taste them side by side, there is no comparison.  Signed, BBQ sauce snob.  :D

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2022, 12:57:20 pm »
Kansas City style sauce is thick, sweet, and smokey. 
That's how we like it in our house!  Carolina BBQ sauce tends to be thinner, redder, and tangier, often with a (dreaded) ACV base.  It's okay, but it's something we've had to adjust to since moving down here.  Some of the local BBQ places have really good sauce, some we like to use different sauce on, and some places don't focus on sauce at all, just on the smokey meat.  My mom has kind of moved toward less sauce in her tastes, but most of us still like to slather it on!  When we smoke or grill at home we usually use the Heinz KC sauce for pork and Sweet Baby Rays for chicken.   

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2022, 01:38:52 pm »
'Signed, BBQ sauce snob"  :D

With all due respect 15th that made me laugh
There Is Peace In The Queendom