Author Topic: Time to start seeds for native pollinator plants  (Read 4695 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Time to start seeds for native pollinator plants
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:51 am »
The first of the year, at least in the Midwest, is the time to start seeds for native plants and perennials.  There is are many methods to accomplish this.  This is the method I use.
I purchase seed starting trays and fill the cells with potting soil.  Small pots that I pick up at the garden centers in the recycling bins will work too. These small pots can be used for several years.
 After filling the pots or cells with potting soil, I wet the soil thoroughly.  Then, I check what depth the variety of seed should be planted at, poke holes into the soil, drop the seed in, and cover with the wet soil.  I then label the tray with plant species and date.  I put the whole tray in a translucent bag large enough to tape or tie shut.  This all gets placed in a sunny spot outdoors.  No further action is needed until you see sprouts.  We sprouts appear, which can be seen through the translucent bag, remove the bag and monitor for water needs. 
When weather and soil temperatures allow, then I plant my new flowers into the yard.  I usually end up with enough to give away.
I have very poor results when I try to mix trays with 2 or more different varieties of plants.  They will have different germination rates.  One species will need to be uncovered while another hasn't germinated yet. 
For what ever reason, I have never had good results starting seed directly in the soil. 

What plans do you have for adding nectar and pollen sources?

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: Time to start seeds for native pollinator plants
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:46 pm »
Hi Baker,  Good advice... I am getting ready to start zinnias for the butterflies.  They love them!  Very anxious to see the Monarchs return.  We had a great numbers last year.