Author Topic: fire roasted green chilies and mators  (Read 4455 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
fire roasted green chilies and mators
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:49:30 am »
this season we have had an abundance of anaheim peppers and green peppers. 

i have spent several afternoons/ early evenings firing up the charcoal grill, roasting the peppers, peeling and freezing them.  love green chilies!!!

also, something i have never done........guess i was on a jag with the anaheim's and decided to fire roast the roma tomatoes and freeze.  never done this before (always canned mators or made sauce and salsa), think it will be great making my own green chili and tomatoes like rotel! 

anyone else roast and freeze their mild/hot peppers?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: fire roasted green chilies and mators
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:34 am »
We freeze green and red bell peppers, Poblano peppers and banana peppers by just slicing them and placing them in a freezer bag.  We don't roast or anything, just slice and freeze.  We use them in the winter for breakfast cottage fried potatoes and in soups.  We skip the roasting.

lazy

We have good fresh jalapeño peppers available all winter.  Jalapeño pepper is the state pepper of Texas.  It is us, and we are it.  :)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:38:53 pm »
Our peppers have out done there selves this year also :yes: My wife does like LS, she also just cuts the bottom off the Bell peppers and takes the seeds out and freeze them to have stuffed peppers this winter. Growing up our Mom called stuffed peppers, stuffed Mango peppers?? made with ground beef, chili pepper, onions,and cooked in a home made tomato sauce, with baked potato, scalloped corn, and home made hot rolls with real butter.Mmmmm. Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:10:08 am »
sounds great jack!

hmmm, i love stuffed peppers! they can be made with anything! also i am thinking chile rellinos type casserole......they don't have to be dipped in egg batter or fried ! another recipe.......sometimes i line a baking dish with peppers, (usually fresh anaheims) mix up some concoction of hamburger, veggies, sauce, rice....whatever, i have used leftovers and even leftover dirty rice, poured it in, add cheese, lined the dish with corn tortilla chips (like a pie).......awesome!

cutting up peppers and freezing is great.......but if you haven't fire roasted some of your peppers..........you are missing out on some great flavor!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor