Author Topic: Riverbee's Journey  (Read 70461 times)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: Riverbee's Journey
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 09:37:27 am »
Hey River, isn't it about time for another round of injections?  Please remember to keep us posted.  We are well into our second year with your reaction adventure, and we do not want to miss the "happy ending." 

I was into one of my nicer hives this week and had a bee crawling around on my hand, and I thought of you.  As much as you love bees, I wish you could have changed places with me.  When I was quite young, an old, wisened banker told me, "be ready for the changes."  i asked him what changes?  He told me, "everything changes."  He was correct.  It is regretful that with your love of bees, you will not be able to let a bee crawl on your hand.  But, on the other hand, your tenuous ordeal will cause you to love the bee moments even more.  I don't have the passion for bees that you do, but I so admire folks that go "all in" on anything.  You're the kind of beekeeper that has the relentless energy to keep on studying and  studying and studying.  As a consequence, your addiction will cure our ills with the the bees.

Let us know about your next injection.  We are waiting to hear from you………………..

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »
Hey River, isn't it about time for another round of injections?  Please remember to keep us posted.  We are well into our second year with your reaction adventure, and we do not want to miss the "happy ending." 

I was into one of my nicer hives this week and had a bee crawling around on my hand, and I thought of you.  As much as you love bees, I wish you could have changed places with me.  When I was quite young, an old, wisened banker told me, "be ready for the changes."  i asked him what changes?  He told me, "everything changes."  He was correct.  It is regretful that with your love of bees, you will not be able to let a bee crawl on your hand.  But, on the other hand, your tenuous ordeal will cause you to love the bee moments even more.  I don't have the passion for bees that you do, but I so admire folks that go "all in" on anything.  You're the kind of beekeeper that has the relentless energy to keep on studying and  studying and studying.  As a consequence, your addiction will cure our ills with the the bees.

Let us know about your next injection.  We are waiting to hear from you………………..
  hehe..  and there are those that claim I can write a good line or two..  then looky here at what Lazy Shooter wrote!!   WELL SAID!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »
See above :)
Well said indeed.

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Riverbee's Journey: First 6 wk Maintenance Injections
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 07:24:52 pm »
lazy shooter, thank you!  what would i do without you?
i am losing it......i swear i updated this thread with a post on april 3rd for my first 6 week monthly maintenance injections........ :D

i received my first 6 week maintenance injections on wednesday, april 2nd.  all went well, except i think that the r.n. mixed up the venom vials and which injections go in which arm.  i know,  you are all saying what? a reason for keeping these separate. because of the reactions i have always suffered from with the honey bee and wasp, these injections go in opposite arms.  honey bee on the left, wasp and mixed vespid (never react to) in the right.  instead, i believe i received mixed vespid on the left,(no reaction) and honey bee and wasp in the right arm. (very large local reaction).

so i believe i was given injections for the two i react to the most in the same arm.....i knew something was not right when i arrived  home and within several hours, my r arm was swelling up quickly,  and itching something fierce. by morning the swelling had extended beyond my elbow and to the wrist, with a slight numb feeling in my r hand and fingers.  the discomfort and numbness lasted 4 days until sunday. the shot docs are to keep these 2 injections separate to keep this from happening.  yes, i had a conversation with the r.n. about this, and reported the reaction. (required). the r.n, is usually a very precise and thorough person. she stated they went in opposite arms.  if so, i had an extremely large local to the honey bee, then my concern is why did this happen and will this continue?

the amount of venom in my injections, i milliliter or 100 micrograms of venom for each injection is equal to 2 - 4 stings of each insect.  so i am receiving venom equal to, for the 3 injections, anywhere between 6 and 12 stings total.  some powerful stuff (venom) in these little bottles i tell ya!

on may 16th, i have an appointment with my doc to discuss my progress and my 2nd 6 week maintenance injections.  will i be able to keep my bees? how and where is my immunity? the big question really comes down to this for me, at some point it is the first sting i will fear, whether it is now or later, or any sting, or perhaps stings thereafter. i have thought of this often now that i am in the maintenance stage of my injections.  i have a great deal of fear.  i have come this far and i will go with and follow the recommended advice, minimum 2 years before i can think about getting back into the bees.

ef commented about mr river.  he has always been supportive, and has helped a great deal in the past, but nothing like he has had to do since i developed the allergy.  hard to crash teach someone to keep bees, but he has done well under the circumstances.  might have to fix a 'go pro' camera on his veil this season..... :D

several weeks ago,  when we were cleaning out dead outs, i had him slip feed into the remaining hive. he was not going to wear a veil. hasn't been opened since last fall......

"what do i need a veil for, they aren't bothering us?"
"the bees won't like it".
"what do you mean the bees won't like it, they're not bothering us"
i said "hmm, do you have court in the morning or a trial?"
"no i don't, what does that have to do with me not wearing a veil"
"well, If you wear a veil, then you won't have to explain to the judge or your client why your eyes are  swelled shut, and how you drove yourself to the courthouse."

the veil went on....... :D

a few days after that he was trying to explain to a good neighbor friend why we lost the swarm hive. (captured late summer, made it all through winter to starve, ate themselves through a full deep).  this could have been prevented, a 3rd deep of food stores could have been added, but this is part of the frustration of being allergic to bees and not being able to manage them as they should be.  so the conversation went something like this between the two guys.  my guy is trying to explain honey frames in the top deep, and starvation. the friend asks:

"well why didn't they just go next door and get some honey from the other hives?"

mr river try's to explain the winter cluster.  the friend says:

"when the weather warmed up, why didn't they go next door to get some food?" 
(he wasn't getting it). so mr river put's it in this context to him :

"adam, the bees have homes, they know where their homes are.  that's not their home. bees aren't like humans, they don't just show up at the hive next door univited for a beer and never leave, and if they do it's called robbing."

adam understood............ :D

btw, anyone who is undergoing any type of allergy injections and carries epi pens for any allergy, your allergist is handing out the free cards for mylan's epi-pens.  if they forget, just ask them for it. 

ps, thanks to zweefer, offering to help me out he's just down the road from me.... ;)
what beekeepers won't do for one another!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »
awww  don't thank me yet, I haven't done anything :)

speaking of, check your PM...
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Riverbee's Journey ~ Back To The Bees...
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2014, 01:16:11 am »
my  day has come.
after almost 2 years and 17 months of injections, my doc has given me the go ahead to go back to bees if i so desire.
i was not expecting this.  i thought she would have me wait until next season.

i received my  7th full maintenance dose of injections on may 14th, and a full checkup with my doc.  my progress has been good despite some setbacks. through all the setbacks, mix ups, and concern over abnormal injection reactions, readjustment of my injection doses and schedule, i  have not suffered any systemic reactions from the injections, and i have reached the 6 month maintenance dose at 6 week intervals successfully.   sometime this year my doc says she will get me to  an 8  week schedule of injections.  how long? i might be a lifer for the 3  injections.  that's okay, and i understand the dynamics of it. 

many members here have been with me, encouraged me, and supported me from the start, long before this forum. many members here now only learned of my 'journey' in more recent months.   how can i express how much i appreciate the support and encouragement you all have given me? a ' thank you' cannot describe my thoughts or feelings.  just know,  i am truly grateful and appreciative.  this forum, and all who have supported and encouraged me have in many ways been my 'salvation'  in many ways. no one understands but other beekeepers.

why did i wait to share this? i did with iddee, riverrat, g3 and perry. (thanks guys for your great support). i was questioning whether i was ready and  i had to think about it.  i had to think through the fear and reservation even though my doc says i will suffer nothing more than a local reaction.  so, the next part of my journey is to overcome the fear of the first sting, and i suspect i will carry that fear for sometime to come until it passes. 

1~ full gear for me. (have always worn a veil, not so much gloves or full gear)
2~ not by myself just yet, or a backseat for awhile.  my 'angel' and 'guardian' close to me.  i can hear him now, "watch where you put your fingers
     and move the frames, you just squashed a  bee"
..... :D
3~sting kit (epis, benadryl, steroid) at the ready.

what do you all think? what would you do?  knowing me, i think i might just get the fear over with, and take a sting deliberately, and not wait for it.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:28 am »
Very touching story this is Riv- I feel a bit of adrenaline rush in my chest as I'm typing and feel your fear.

If it were me...

My first thoughts would be to sit in the parking lot of the hospital and take a sting. Make sure you have food in your stomach and you're not alone in the car. Listen to the radio and do a crossword puzzle while waiting for the results of the sting.

On the other hand...

I have this daring trusting side where I would want to sit in the bee yard at a distance from the hives, in a pair of jeans and a tank top, sandles, with the warm sun on my face and the hum in the air... knowing that the bees already know that you are uneasy and scared. And letting them bring you slowly back to visit them with confidence and love. The bees know Riv... they already know what you want and need. Take your time...

Then there is Scott's way...

Mix a pirate drink. Take a sip. Wander out to the hives. Breath the honey air. Take a sip. Unfold a chair and sit a spell, put your feet up on a stump. Relax. Take another sip. Know that it's gonna be okay...

~Wink and a Hug~
Love you Bee Sista!

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:55 am »
Congratulations!!!!!!
We are all pulling for you riverbee.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 06:14:14 am »
I think Jen has some good options. I am not in a place where I can make any recommendations, but I think I would be in full gear without the gloves. It's so much easier to work the hives like that of course. Anyway, hang in there! You will do great!

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 07:45:21 am »
 I am so glad to hear of the report Riverbee, if it was me I would gear up complete and go out to the hive and do an inspection, this way you will be more relax and fool the bees maybe. The more you do this in full gear the more confront you will get around them and be able to enjoy them more. I do believe that I would always be in full gear from now on though do not want this to rehappen and with cloves of some type to help.

Ken

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 08:00:53 am »
That's great news, River!  I'd just suit up in full gear, make sure someone was with me that knows the way to the hospital and head for the bee yard.  The gear and the comanion is not so much because they are needed but, rather, for the added peace of mind.  There is a lot to be said for determination and perseverance.

I agree with you on taking a sting deliberately rather than waiting for it.  I would find the suspense overwhelming.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:23 am »
Riverbee:

First things first, a hearty congratulations to you for "staying the course."  Your two year path to wellness demonstrated a high degree of discipline and perseverance.  I'm sure that there were moments of anxiety, as the reactions varied from time to time, and for lessors, it would have been easy to oust the bees and take a more comfortable route.  But, the riverbee was, and still is, up to any challenge and anything less than a complete recovery was unacceptable.  Oh Lord, it speaks well of the Riverbee's character.

I would recommend a full bee suit complete with gloves.  Full body coverage will allow you to mentally relax and inhale the moment.  I do mean "inhale."  Let your hubby do the lifting and prying and just stand back and savor the bees.  Watch the little creatures fly about and crawl on you.  Gee, I wish we could all be there to see your first time with the bees.  I am so delighted to hear of your recovery.  It's a prayer answered for me.

Lazy

PS  Most of us on this forum admire and respect the bee creation, but you love, love, love them.  Go get'im.

Offline electroman277

• Have no fear Electroman is here
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:27 am »
Mrs. River,
 This is great news. We have been waiting for this day to come for you with much anxiety. I say just take it a your own pace and over time you will regain the courage and comfort to work the bees at your comfort level. God has truly answered many prayers on your behalf. Now get out there and enjoy your favorite hobby. And by all means bee all a buzz with excitement.
If you're going to be dumb you gotta be tough

Offline Intheswamp

• BeeWeather.com
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:23 am »
A little celebratory gathering is called for the occasion...

Best wishes and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Ed

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 10:53:09 am »
I haven't read the entire thread, but certainly the original post and most of your updates.  I'm very glad things are progressing for you in a positive manner!

In response to your "What would you do?", I can only compare to what I've been through and do.  Although the scenario is pretty different, the anxiety, fear, and need for caution is still there for me.  Long story short: About 12 years ago I slipped took a 28' fall off a roof, lived in a hospital for a couple weeks, a hospital bed w/ full trapeze in my living room for a few months, and here I am today.  In reality, I escaped with the only real lingering effect being some pretty severe arthritis in a few spots.  Although situations I put myself in aren't necessarily life threatening... much of what I do in my insanely active life is/could be life changing, where-as playing with bees could be life-threatening for you.

Things I have learned and what I would do, in response to your question:

1) Do what you enjoy, what makes you happy. BUT...
2) KNOW & RESPECT YOUR LIMITS.  (no gloves-off here!)
3) Bee prepared (which it sounds like you already are, just keep up with it)

I still go on ladders & roofs if the need arises... As cautious as I was in the past, I'm FAR more cautious now.  I even harness myself in sometimes (should be all the time).  I think that may be comparable to you making sure to wear full gear at all times.  As good as your gear may be, take that extra step... Wear heavier clothing underneath, such as jeans and a long-sleeve denim shirt.

While I didn't develop a fear of heights, I'd be lying if I were to say that there's no anxiety present when I do certain things.  When in those situations, I do things a bit more slowly.  Do things a bit more methodically.  Check, Check, Triple-check.  Are your pants taped off?  Are your gloves sealed?  Is your emergency kit within reach?  Are your zippers completely closed?  Is the velcro sealed?  Is your emergency kit within reach?  If your other half isn't around and you NEED to help someone with a swarm, make sure they know and understand your situation and the potential severity and that if you shout out to get your EpiPen... they know to grab it and get it to you post haste.

A life in fear of doing what you enjoy is not a life...  Just take that extra step, or two, or three, of caution.

Oh, and smile while doing it :)

Offline rodmaker

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 10:57:05 am »
 congratulations to you Riverbee your instincts and desire have brought you this far and i trust you will know what to do and when to do it good luck and enjoy
joseph

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 03:26:16 pm »
My personal opinion: (take it or leave it)
Start up with the hives as if you were a beginning beekeeper, taking all the necessary precautions to prevent getting stung--but knowing full well that they are unavoidable.  At least you have the know how as to how to properly remove a stinger and the ability to do it quickly.  Your experience with manipulating hives should push off that first sting for a while and undoubtedly, your bees will be happy now that they once again have you expertly handling them.
Another word of encouragement:  I've mentioned before about three of my children who had to undergo the two years of desensitization shots.  That was many years ago and to the best of my recollection, they all  have received stings since---with nothing more than a normal reaction.  So may it be with you.  :) O:-)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:23 am »
Prayers and crossed fingers for you!  I hope it goes as you want it to!  :)

Be sure and have an epi-pen and benadryl.  May you have many more years among the bees!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2014, 12:46:54 am »
Well.. I just got goose bumps...  WOOOOT!!!!!   Strange to be so excited for someone I have never seen, but the truth of the matter is.. I am excited for you Mrs. River..   Well done!!!

What would I do if I was in your shoes?    If my doc told me I would only have a local reaction??  I am probably not the best person to answer that question, because I would run right out and get stung.   I know its a strange thing to say and do, but I would probably enjoy that sting so much I would cry. Your probably a bit smarter than I am.
   I don't know the limits.. if you get stung three or four times in a row?   So doing it on purpose may not be the best route just in case another sting or two come rapidly?
    I will just say that whatever the choice I will be here cheering for you. I am excited for you, and glad that you have been cleared to get back into your hives...

edit;
   That is, if you can pry the hive tool away from your significant other.   ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:08 am »
Scott- "I will just say that whatever the choice I will be here cheering for you. I am excited for you, and glad that you have been cleared to get back into your hives..."

Ditto!  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom