Author Topic: Honey Prices 2016 For Your Region Blueblood's First Mini Harvest of 2016  (Read 7732 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
This topic always arises so I thought I would start a thread for 2016. 

I harvested 10 medium and 4 shallow frames of fully capped honey a couple days ago to provide more room for a couple hives and to collect a little pocket change for vacation this Friday.  I ended up with 48 pounds of  my favorite, early, light, thick and sweet spring locust/dandelion honey.  The refractometer showed 15.5-16% humidity.  I sold honey in 1lb squeeze bottles last year for $7.50 with no problem whatsoever.  I have been pricing my honey by following the prices per pound of one of the largest honey producers in Indiana.  My 2016 price per pound is $8 even.  They were at $7.75 last year and $8.25 this year.  I have been selling for two days just from my sign out front.  I am down to 24 bottles!  Nobody has blinked an eye.  It's easier this way not messing with quarters too!  I fix my price a quarter to fifty cents below them.  What are you seeing in your region?

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
In the stores near me, local honey can be bought for 16-18$ per pound.  My farm retails my honey for 13$/lb.  Even at 13$ per pound he can't keep it on the shelf. 
I would see what your local grocery store is getting for 'local' honey and price accordingly from there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:27:21 pm by Papakeith »
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Locally, a quart of LOCAL honey ranges from $19-26.  I've been selling a pint for $12.  One person, a little old lady, in 500 customer transactions said something about the price.  I sold it to her real cheap, we were both happy.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
"Local honey" sold at our supermarket runs about $5-6lb. It comes from Arkansas but the source is at least 150 m away. I've bought truly local honey for $12-15 a quart from a friend who is a hobby keep. Could be a good neighbor price. Sweet Wife says it sells for much more at the Farmers Market.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
I sell mine for.......
$15/quart
$18/quart for chunk honey
$8/pint
$10/pint for chunk honey

Will be taking honey off in the next week or so......can't wait for that golden goodness!!!

Matter of fact just got done washing up extractor and buckets, jars are ready and waiting.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Blue:

I don't sell honey, but locally produced honey some 20 miles from me, sells for 12 bucks a pint.  I can't believe the cost of living is cheaper where you reside.  Were I you, I would ask at least 10 dollars per pint. 

lazy

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
blue........

10 bucks a pound...........no one blinks an eye or gives me crazy eyes.........
i don't price my honey according to whatever else around me.

so a 1 pd jar: 10 bucks
pint jar 1 1/2 pds- 15 bucks
2 1/2 pound plastic jar i sell= 25 bucks
quart jar 30 bucks

i gave up on the glass mason jars, pints and quarts, i sell really attractive plastic jars now........3/4 pd, 1 pd and 2 1/2 pd.........one only has so much space to store jars........ :D :D :D
that and mailing glass jars is not something i like to do.

i also sell the muth jars (typically fall through christmas)
4 oz, 8oz, 1 pound.  because these glass jars are expensive (cost and shipping), i hike the price up a little more.

great thread blue!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
No honey to pull here.  The rain has to let up before the bees can bring anything home.  I checked my supers and they are EMPTY.  All my supers I have on have drawn comb from previous years, but zero honey.  Dutch clover and sweet yellow clover is blooming every where too. 
Enough  complaining.  I have been charging $6.50 a pound.  I sell in only one pound jars, glass and plastic.  It keeps things simple.  Some folks prefer glass, some prefer plastic. 

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
I haven't sold any honey in about ten years----I just give it away to family and special friends.
But my grandson has been selling his at last year's price : 45 NIS for a kg (2.2 lbs)   Translated into your currency that comes to about $11.70 for a kg or about $5.85 for 1.1 lbs.  Sounds like a giveaway compared to what you are getting in the U.S.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
That is about the price in the supermarkets and at the farmer markets in western Canada
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.