Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Discussion  (Read 128344 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Oxalic Acid Discussion
« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2018, 10:21:03 pm »
scott, didn't know you were of irish descent.........but then again would make sense........... :D :D :D

uh, me too, probably makes sense to you.......... :D :D :D

very cool your mom and pop in ireland, someday i will get there!  it would be very cool to get an irish beekeeper on here!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:09 pm »
   :P

Always thought I was Irish and German.. turns out I am mostly Scandenavian!!!  with some Irish and German...   Vikings were the ORIGINAL pirates!  No wonder I like rum!      :t3816:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:38 pm »
scott, i think you would just like rum anyway............ :D :D :laugh:

btw....like honey bees, i think we are all mutts anyway........ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2023, 02:04:48 pm »
I was looking for OAV dosage, I just built a modified wand, guess I will try it out, I'm measuring by volume rather than weight, maybe 3/8 of a teaspoon per box. Gotta get it done, these bees are chasing pollen
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2023, 09:35:43 am »
I used to struggle with measuring out a specific amount, depending on what I had for boxes on each hive. Doing a stickyboard, etcetera...   Watching researchers DUMP large quantities of Oxalic Acid Vapor into hives, every day for three to four MONTHS.... changed my mind.
   At times, when I measured out an.... "Exacting" Amount of Oxalic Acid. I felt like I wasn't giving enough, sometimes I didn't get a good drop on the sticky board, and so had to do it again...    I gave all that up... 
   I fill the pan of my Varrox Vaporizer, scrape it off level, and use it...   I run it two minutes. Pull it out, dunk it in cold water, refill the pan, put it in the next hive, run it two minutes. and so on...    I get a fantastic drop, the bees are minimally bothered, and I FEEL like I have accomplished something without wondering if it was enough. I know it was enough. Probably a bit too much. But I have yet to see or read about any side effects, or immunity/resistance to OAV.. even though many countries have been using it coming up on 30 years. It is still just as effective today as when they started.
   I often see people saying they use other methods, to help prevent immunities from developing...   I personally feel like, if immunities DO start developing, were going to start hearing about it from those people who have been using OAV for more than 20 years before we started using it over here. At least I HOPE we do, so we can take preventative measures, and THEN start with the other methods.

Until I do hear that problems are starting, I will keep on keeping on, because it is simple, and effective. I am usually BUSY enough, that complicated and time consuming methods go out the window fast. When you add in that those methods, using Liquid OA, or insecticides ACTUALLY harm the bees, and have side effects?  Why?    JUST, my .02
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: Gypsi

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2023, 02:44:53 am »
I have go two read this entire thread soon when I have lots of time and a full cup of coffee.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a