Author Topic: update  (Read 4782 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
update
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »
Went through the hives today. found brood in all stages of development, neither Queen are exactly killing themself laying eggs. did mix in a couple frames of foundation. most of the emerging brood has emerged. and the queen is laying eggs and both hives. they just have to build the populations of to do what needs to be done.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »
Good News! That's what I hope I'll find when I get my first 65 day  :) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »
Sounds good! Nothing like getting one through the winter.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »
G3 they're actually two nucs that I got just week ago, they were five frame medium nucs older brood comb no indication of varroa ...yet. transferred in to standard deeps want to cycle out the mediums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 04:43:13 pm »
Still sounds good to me, I sure wish you better luck this year!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »
Thank you. Your familiar with Murphy's law, ....Murphy needs to take a rest lol

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:55:01 pm »
took another look inside my two colonies. they both are working on foundation, one more so than the other. finally found the queen, looking good. interestingly enough in the colony drawing the most foundation, the Queen was actually laying eggs in  only half constructed cells. I guess she's telling the kids to pick up the pace lol ;)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:17:11 pm by barry42001 »

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
Excellent, good to hear!

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:07 pm »
that is quite common for queens to lay in cells that are not fully drawn out yet. especially in swarms. 5 medium frames will equal about 3 1/4 standard frames in cell volume.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:04 pm »
it look like some of the places where she had placed a egg it was almost no  cell wall at all, just a little bit of a rise above the foundation. three of those 5 medium frames don't go all the way down to the bottom bar, missing at least a row or two of cells.  old dark comb the really interesting feature I'm not seeing fresh new white wax being used, it looks like they might be tearing down some of the old dark stuff.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:26:07 pm by barry42001 »

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:17 pm »
Yep they will repurpose wax as needed. Those should be booming in 30 days.

I would try a little syrup myself, just to see if they would take it.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 12:57:24 pm »
Wax production is not a voluntary process of the bees but is promoted by bees being forced to hold nectar in their honey stomachs for 24 hrs. Also bees that secret wax scales are between 10 and 16 days old. depending on how the nuc was made the nuc could have a age of bees missing from its population. and as G3 stated bees re-purpose wax if they are not being stimulated by a flow to make wax.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:11 pm »
there are an awful lot of trees are blooming right now, maple, oak, to name a few. how much nectar they are producing I do not know, but they are bringing in a lot of pollen. both are showing signs of building, one to a far larger than degree the the other. and I understand that simply could be the makeup of the colony proportion of younger to older bees

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:03:37 pm by barry42001 »

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »
Early plants are know for their pollen and the nectar flow is not being brought in by enough bees to become much of a surplus. I read some where that it takes 100lbs of honey to raise brood when the queen is laying at her maximum. When the queen is removed and the bees need to raise a replacement queen, 2000 eggs a day for the30 day that the queen is not laying is said it will allow a colony to store an extra 100 lbs over a colony that was queen right during that time.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:49 pm »
I was feeding them dry white sugar, and they were actively working it addition to normal foraging.  actually dry sugar was not what I meant to say, was a heavy Slurry. they have consumed all that, I will have to start using the Boardman feeder and a much lighter syrup. presuming one there's not enough of a field force to actually bring the nectar in required, and you're not enough newer workers to generate the wax. both had a lot of sealed brood, but it takes a week or so for that new brood to actually start making wax. so by the time I start providing them with the syrup ( tomorrow). 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:40:36 pm by barry42001 »