Author Topic: Vertical Strawberry Planter Plans  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Newbee

Vertical Strawberry Planter Plans
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:27 am »
I'm going to go ahead and blame MommaPoppyBee for getting my mind turning towards seeds and spring, it's all her fault!  :P

https://urbangreenspace.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/how-to-make-a-vertical-strawberry-tube-planter/

Saw this and thought it neat. I've seen folks doing the vertical-planter thing many times before, but these plans are simple, cheap, and look pretty effective! I might even try to cook one up here for use at our rental-house (doesn't require me digging a garden).

- K

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Vertical Strawberry Planter Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:43:43 am »
That's cool, Newbee!  Are there strawberry plants that produce the first year?  I don't know if the plants would over winter.  Maybe if your winters are mild enough they would be OK.  Remember to fertilize periodically because the nutrients are going to leach out after daily watering.   Keep us posted.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:09:05 am »
Are there strawberry plants that produce the first year?  I don't know if the plants would over winter.  Maybe if your winters are mild enough they would be OK. 

I think so? I've gotten started plants at the garden store that produced for me. They over-wintered fine, too. Back up in NY the frostline was 36", so the little plants on the surface were most certainly frozen solid (and mine would get buried by the snow-blower... 3-4 feet of snow on top). Dunno if that's the variety sold down here, however.... I did bring some of my Raspberrie's down w/ me, didn't think to snag any of the strawberry's (maybe I'll get lucky and find a hitch-hiker, berry patch was all kinda mixed in).

- K

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:39:59 am »
I have seen many done in oak barrels. cut holes in the side with hole saw Fill with dirt and plant.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
Hammond, Louisiana is famous for its strawberries.  They plant new plants each year.  They plant in plastic covered rows each year.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 12:28:40 pm »
Newbee

I grow strawberries. They look easy to grow. The bugs and fruit rot destroy most of them if you cant control it. You must use pesticides and fungicides if you want nice strawberries. The system you want to use is very poor for growing strawberries. Your plants need room to grow. Your plants need the right nutrient also. There’s only one kind of strawberry you can grow in a planter. They are day neutrals. June berries wont work. They wont produce berries during the summer months. Have you thought of what kind of soil you want to use in those tubes. Those holes in the tube break the stems on the plants when they get big and heavy with berries. Once the stem breaks the fruit wont ripen. The best way to grow strawberries is grow them hydroponically. If you want June berries. Grow them in the soil. I tried every day neutral strawberry out there. The ones that work the best for me in my climate is seascape and tribute. The others I couldn’t control  botrytis with out using expensive fungicides. I grow in two different kind of pots. The best bang for your dollar is these.

https://ezgrogarden.com/

https://www.hydrostacker.com/

I grow 500 plants every year.