Author Topic: Dad's new tractor  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
Dad's new tractor
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »
It is funny how a piece of machinery can make your time on the farm better. 
Dad's new(to him) tractor did just that for me.

he bought a 1947 Cockshutt 30 on a whim.  I ran it a couple of times over the summer and found it to be a fun machine to run.
Once we got to our pumpkin season I opted to hook a wagon up to the back and pull people around the farm.  People loved the old tractor, kids loved the way it looked and sounded.  I liked the way it ran.  The clutch was smooooooooth. 

I also learned a few things about tractors from 'back in the day'.
1. 6volt batteries aren't necessarily labeled as such
2. positive ground systems can use a red lead on the negative leg
3. 10 hours in an unsprung seat it a bit much.  Thankfully they designed these old tractors to allow you to stand up while driving them to give your buttocks a rest
4. someone at Cockshutt thought it would be a good idea to regulate the amount of charge going to the battery via the light switch.  Interesting concept. Not quite sure why they did it that way. 
5.  I absolutely love old tractors and engines.  I can listen to them run for hours.  Some call it noise I call it music.

I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Dad's new tractor
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »
6 volt has 3 cells. 12 volt has 6 cells.
Should always be that way. Positive terminal is ground.
3. 10 hours in an unsprung seat it a bit much.  Thankfully they designed these old tractors to allow you to stand up while driving them to give your buttocks a rest
Ain't that th' truff ;D
4. someone at Cockshutt thought it would be a good idea to regulate the amount of charge going to the battery via the light switch.  Interesting concept. Not quite sure why they did it that way.
All the old cars were recommended to burn headlights when on long trips. The regulators weren't all that dependable. Batteries would over charge and the acid would boil out.
5.  I absolutely love old tractors and engines.  I can listen to them run for hours.  Some call it noise I call it music.

ME TOO!
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »
6 volt has 3 cells. 12 volt has 6 cells.
you know, I know that but it never registered, thanks
Should always be that way. Positive terminal is ground.
made jump starting interesting
Ain't that th' truff ;D
All the old cars were recommended to burn headlights when on long trips. The regulators weren't all that dependable. Batteries would over charge and the acid would boil out.
does it have to do with the resistance provided by the lamps? This tractor has three positions. 1- lights off-half charge, 2 lights on - half charge, 3 lights on- full charge.  It actually says in the owners manual that the operator is responsible for not overcharging the battery

ME TOO!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:28:02 pm »
Jump starting is always the same. Positive battery terminal to positive battery terminal. Vehicle ground doesn't matter. Always hook to battery only. Don't ground jumper cable to body.

Yes on the resistance.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »
The kind of sparks and heat you generated it is lucky you didn't blow up the battery.
Nice looking tractor.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:53 pm »
Jump starting is always the same. Positive battery terminal to positive battery terminal. Vehicle ground doesn't matter. Always hook to battery only. Don't ground jumper cable to body.

Yes on the resistance.
Yes, that works when you know that it is a positive ground system and don't hook the jumper to the cable coming out of the bolted up battery box that is red assuming it is positive :o

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:33:38 pm »
I never trust a cable color. I find the negative and positive on both batteries.
I've seen 2 black, 2 red, red on negative, etc. Farmers use what they have to get the job done.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:34 pm »
yes, we do.  I certainly have learned a bunch with this new ride. 
Still working on Dad to buy a traction engine :)
I might be able to talk him into a fordson if I could find one around.  I've been told that that was the first tractor that we had on the farm

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »
love them old canadian tractors
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »
We have a 1939 John Deere B that does no use a battery, cranks with the flywheel using a lot of ump. Just love hearing it run. Like a Harley on steroids. ;D

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
As a collector of old Massey Harris tractors I learned a lot over the years too.

Massey Harris and several other brands used the light switch to control the charge to the battery. Some tractors didn't need battery's because they came from the factory with a magneto for spark to the plugs and had no lights or started just hand crank too.

Most of the old tractors did indeed have a sprung seat and some even employed a shock absorber like Massey Harris did.

The Cockshutt 20 had a Continental 124 engine in the first 863 built just like my wife's Massey model 81 and the model 20. Starting

The Continental 140 was used in the middle of the 1952 production year, starting on tractor serial number 963. Same engine as in the Massey Harris model 22, mustang and mid model run of the 101JR.

:D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.