Author Topic: SHB and Winter Weather  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
SHB and Winter Weather
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:53 am »
I am wondering if what I have seen in my area is the common experience for beekeepers with similar winters.  About 2 winters ago, we had a very mild season, and early in spring, our state inspectors were saying that they had seen a real increase in SHB infestations.  Last winter we had 1 or 2 nights that got into single digits and a week long period where temperatures were not brutal, but did not get above freezing day or night.  While I saw some SHB and the populations increased some over summer, my numbers never got alarming.

I know that some SHB will overwinter with the bees, but I think the majority are out under leaf litter, etc.  Have others  with similar winter weather patterns noticed the same SHB effects?  I'm wondering if we can "predict"  potential SHB issues based on winter low temperatures.  Do isolated single digit blasts knock down SHB populations for the following season or do scattered but significant numbers of below freezing nights help with the upcoming season?  What are folks in areas that are not too hot and not too cold seeing?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: SHB and Winter Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:47:33 am »
I think you are on to something there. Not only the ones that stay out of the hive, but also the ones that are ran out of the cluster into the cracks and crannies of the hive. The bees only heat the cluster, not the whole box.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:49:00 am »
An interesting question jacobs.  I don't remember reading anything pointing to the answer to your question.  But, as always, Lee has an opinion.  ;)

You will observe few Small Hive Beetles in early spring.  Then, as summer comes, you see more and more SHB.  Populations vary from year to year.    Low SHB populations in spring suggests few survive the winter.  Their native habitat is sub saharan Africa.  From that I conclude they haven't had to deal with very cold temperatures (an assumption).  They may overwinter outside the hive at some locations, but I suspect the core population that inflicts their numbers on the hive in late summer, overwinters inside the hive. 

Cold has a marked effect on eggs hatching and rate of development of the SHB.  Insecticide worked into the soil around the hives works to slow  their numbers, but larva can crawl the length of a football field before burrowing into the soil (4") to pupate. Depth of winter frost in the soil must dictate some constraints on their life cycle.  You may read something I missed in THIS fact sheet.   :)

P.S.  HERE is another fact sheet from Mississippi, it is very informative and shows a SHB lure baited with yeast and pollen.
Lee_Burough

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:23:48 am »
I would speculate that drought and dry conditions would slow down the reproduction process too.  The second article Lee posted, https://articles.extension.org/sites/default/files/SHB-Mgt-in-MS_2012_Sheridan-Fulton-Zawislak%20(1).pdf states "The pupal stage lasts 3-4 weeks, and adults will often emerge from the soil following a soaking rain. " 
I remember seeing video of a presentation on SHB.  The film showed examples of the male SHB eating the SHB eggs for the protein.  The female was trying to deposit the eggs where the male couldn't reach them.

It will be interesting to see how large the SHB population is next summer in this area.  We went through a harsh drought last summer and winter temperatures lower than we have experienced in many years.
The following users thanked this post: Jacobs

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:53:39 am »
Drought as an SHB limiting factor also makes sense.  We had record rainfall in 2018, and 2019 is starting out wet, but a little over 10 years ago, we had a serious drought, and the Japanese Beetles only started showing up in numbers in the last 2-3 years.  The grubs must have gotten dried out or our clay soil got too hard for them to be able to emerge and mate that year.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43:58 am »
For grins, I may try the SHB lure mentioned in that extension.org article above.  Looks like a wasp lure with a different bait in it.  Then again, may not get around to it.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:47 am »
Here's you one, Lee. No excuse now.   :laugh:

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 12:20:04 am »
Here's you one, Lee. No excuse now.   :laugh:

:laugh:

Just what I need...Well on second thought, I'll forward it to Washington D.C. on account of the greater need.  (I don't want to start something here, just a good natured, bipartisan,  jab)   ;)
Lee_Burough

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:48:31 am »
For grins, I may try the SHB lure mentioned in that extension.org article above.  Looks like a wasp lure with a different bait in it.  Then again, may not get around to it.  :)

Lee, how would you go about making that lure bait?  Would that be a pollen patty with yeast mixed in? 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 11:00:11 am »
Lee, how would you go about making that lure bait?  Would that be a pollen patty with yeast mixed in? 
  Yes, the only explanation in the article is as follows:
Fig. 6. Hive Beetle Pipe trap. These
traps, baited with yeast-inoculated
pollen dough
, can be used to monitor
migrating adult beetles in an apiary.

You could, however, call or email the authors of the article for more detailed information:

A. Sheridan (662) 325-2085
Clay Lyle Entomology Bldg.
Mississippi State University
asheridan@entomology.msstate.edu

H. Fulton (662) 738-4611
bigbee.valley.bees@att.net

The trap looks like a yellow jacket trap. I would not put very much yeast in the pollen sub though, it won't take long for it to eat all the carbs in the mix and then there would be a short window to draw the beetles before time and temperature make the lure ineffective...I hope I'm wrong about that conclusion.  :)

Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 02:02:45 pm »
There's that dilemma.  If you put up a lure, are you luring in more SHB?  Or are you luring them away from your colonies?  I don't think I would put a lure adjacent to my colonies, but it would be fun to trap them.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 06:06:22 pm »
I think you are seeing some of the same thing I see here. Mild winter = early SHB build up.  Wickedly cold winter = slower build up and less problems in the warmer months.  Soil type at apiary also seems to work into this observation > ie if soil type is heavy clay less of a problem and if sandy more of a problem... those sites I have had with hard rock surface have almost no issue with SHB.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:50:24 am »
I think it's hard to pinpoint these things outside of a controlled environment. 6 years ago shb beetle numbers were relatively low here. then we had 2 mild winters with really wet springs. perfect storm? then after a hard winter the shb numbers remain high. so did the mold winter/wet spring have a lasting effect or they just becoming more established anyway or ….. the one thing I do know for sure is that their numbers have increased noticeably in the last 4 years. my vacuum & bleach water bucket now go with me whenever I inspect hives.
this has become the norm. these traps were in hives for 10-14 days.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 12:39:00 pm »
Rober, what time of the year,  was that

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 06:10:45 pm »
Rober,  what are you using in those traps?  Just oil?  What ever it is, it seems to be working.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 07:02:58 am »
worked a yard yesterday.. mostly reversing boxes..  half way thru discovered the hard way I had a hole in my veil.... lots of SHB in that yard for this time of year.  went yesterday and bought good supply of swiffer dusters and will install in same yard about Tuesday.