Author Topic: More roundup news.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: More roundup news.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:48:57 pm »
Interesting.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:45:22 am »
I have come to dislike the 'journalist' take on a scientific study.  The study itself was not easy to access but I did manage to receive a copy from an employee of Bayer (used to be Monsanto) for who I used to do consulting work.  We are both busy (so no time line defined) but after we both read the article we shall discuss the implication of the study and before that I will discuss same with both Dr Rangel and Danny Weaver.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »
PNAS papers are top notch and carry a very high impact factor.  Peer review is tightly controlled as in other top notch journals.  I gave up on roundup when it was shown many years ago to kill amphibians and turn others into hermaphrodites.  Monsanto has been around a lond time---they provided us with DDT and they still sell it in countries where it is legal such as Mexico.
Chip

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:45:57 pm »
Here's the link to the PNAS study:  http://www.pnas.org/content/115/41/10305

Looks like a very nice piece of work to me
Chip

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:08:00 am »
yes but I am skeptical that it has much impact on bees.  did seem to have some small quick effect which then was mitigated (I must assume by the bees biology) in a fairly short period of time

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:58:31 pm »
Google RA Reylea and his many studies on amphibians and roundup.  Anything that can turn a normal healthy amphibian into a hermaphrodite (or worse) should be a major concern for everyone.  Bees, as you well know, have much shorter lifespans but that isn't reason to be a skeptic. Rick Reylea has been leading this type of research for a very long time; your wife may know him?  He's at Penn State the last I heard.
Chip

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »
 Years ago when roundup first came out it was considered to be fairly safe. I believed it because it had limited efficacy (timewise) and it killed almost everything so it was used carefully in small and directed applications. I became concerned when roundup-ready GMO crops were introduced. Useage rates ballooned and now we have these reports.
 IMHO, we should be concerned with any chemical that is broadcast on a field of crops.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:56:14 am »
 Roundup is only one of many problem chemicals being used. And a lot of the problem is caused by misuse whether thru ignorance, stupidity, or intentionally. also storage can be a problem. most big box home improvement stores & Walmart store pallets of chemicals on their parking lots during the summer where rain washes the chemicals into the local watersheds via sewer systems. I've had to leave a local garden shop because of the chemical fumes in the building from stored chemicals. I feel for the people who have to work there. then there's the great obsession with perfect lawns & golf courses. we are all focused on the impact on honeybees & other pollinators but there is a lot more at stake than bees. if watersheds continue being poisoned by chemical runoff & the pollution of underground water by industry & from fracting continues the whole planet is at risk. we can survive on less food & no oil but not without water.