Author Topic: plastic VS Wood frames.  (Read 13849 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
plastic VS Wood frames.
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »
I would like opinions on the pros and cons of both.  keep in mind, I am only asking about the frames, not the foundation...
Thanks.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: plastic VS Wood frames.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »
Pft! you just took the steam out of my reply! Nevermind  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:42:45 pm »
plastic FRAMES not  waxed plastic foundation........ :D

you too jack...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:52 pm »
Okay, I got one... I don't like the wobblyness of plastic frames. Wood frames stay firm. Wood feels more natural in my hands. Wood smells good in the hive. I want to smell bees and wax and honey in the hive. Plastic frames compromise the good bee scent  ;) 8)

Offline minz

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
do you have a link to plastic frames without foundation?

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »
I don't like plastic frames. I'm foundationless but I could cut the plastic foundation out. I don't have a reason. I just don't.

Bought a super with plastic frames at a yard sale couple years ago. Kept the box, burnt the frames.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:38 pm »
Dangit Minz..  that was what I was gonna post...

I have some of everything.. minus plastic frames with no foundation :P

My plastic frames have plastic foundation, I have wooden frames with rite cell foundation, I have wood frames with wired wax, and wooden frames with No foundation..
   My experience is that the bees will, under most circumstances draw the natural comb and or the wired wax almost completely before they ever touch the plastic right beside it.  I do occasionally have a hive that decides to draw the plastic.. and I attribute that to them having been poisoned by Neonics or 24d etc...

As far as the plastic frames go.. I like the ease of use. Take them out of the box and drop them in the hive. Beyond that they seem to be long lasting if treated right. No excessive prying or leaving them out in the sunlight. I have not seen hive beetles yet, but have heard from multiple sources that the beetles LOVE the recesses in the plastic frames for hiding and keeping out of reach of the bees. I have had meeses chew wood frames clear in half, but have never had a plastic frame chewed much. Once something happens to them, an ear breaks or they warp, then they are DONE, there is no fixing them. Glue just doesnt seem to have the strength that they originally had. Gluing a wood frame often restores it to original strength.
   A wood frame you can often fix, glue, or put in a new side bar, top bar etc, and keep on using the frame. Wood frames take more effort to assemble and put foundation in if you use foundation.
   In my mind plastic is plastic. If your going to use plastic foundation then buying the entire frame in plastic saves time, labor, and sometimes even cost. I readily admit to completely enjoying opening the boxes of PF 120's I got from Mann Lake and dropping them into the hives.
   They still cost me more than 2x8's, a saw blade, glue and nails.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:22:01 pm by LazyBkpr »
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
You can see by this plastic frame with the wood insert, how the bees have filled out the wood frame fully, but they will go to the plasic if they have to, at least this is evident in my hives.

Don't ask about how the little wood frame became intigrated into the plastic frame unless you want me to write a novel  :D

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:50:49 pm »
I prefer the grooved, wooden frames that accept ritecell.  They don't warp the way plastic does. Wood frames weigh less, substantially less than plastic.  Wooden frames hold up better when the bees have really stuck things together with propolis.  there are fewer crevices for shb to hide in the wooden frames.  Hands down, wooden frames for me.  The only down side of the wooden frame with ritecell is that it is a challenge to cut some queen cells without damaging them.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:10 am »
I run about 60% Pierco plastic frames and the rest wood and wired wax.  My bees don't seem to mind drawing them out.  I think that Pierco puts a fairly generous amount of wax on them.   the way I see it the positive aspects of the plastic are: ease of assembly (none required), frames and foundation are square and flat (resulting in more even comb, easier inspections, and less rolled bees).  Very easy to scrape, crush, and strain.  Hold up well to extracting.    The down side of plastic: aesthetically less appealing, hive beetles like the holes in the top, easier to break with a hive tool. 

In my busy life, the plastic wins out.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:03 am »
In my busy life, the plastic wins out.

Yep, me too. ;)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:35 am »
I prefer the grooved, wooden frames that accept ritecell.  They don't warp the way plastic does. Wood frames weigh less, substantially less than plastic.  Wooden frames hold up better when the bees have really stuck things together with propolis.  there are fewer crevices for shb to hide in the wooden frames.  Hands down, wooden frames for me.  The only down side of the wooden frame with ritecell is that it is a challenge to cut some queen cells without damaging them.   :)

Wood frames with Pierco or Permadent, for the exact same reasons as Lee described.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:27 am »
Bees are natural, wood in natural, plastic is manmade, nuff said.  On a serious note, I had some plastic frames and my bees would not draw them out.  I was, and still am, a novice beekeeper, and it may have been that they needed more wax on them.  But for whatever reason, plastic did not work for me.  I must have given a 150 plastic frames to another beekeeper.  I think he gave them to a beginning beekeeper.  Plastic didn't work for me.

Some pretty astute beekeepers use Pierco frames and foundation.  The compromise could be Pierco foundation in wood frames. 

I consider myself the best carpenter since Jesus, so I am prejudiced against plastic.  :):)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 07:57:12 am »
Wedge top and split bottom bars here. Never used plastic before so can't fairly compare them, but then I guess I never will be able to. Wood for me please!

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:01:59 am »
Steam gone here too! Ha!  I knew G was gonna post that.... :)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:02 am »
I agree with everything negative about putting plastic in a bee hive, kind of like mom trying to make me like caster oil :'(. I have also found that if you take a plumbers torch with a blue flame, it will clean plastic foundation right up. ;D Jack

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:53 am »
I come from the oil patch where everything is steel and take a few hundred thousand pounds of force.  Our table napkins are cut from sheet metal.  :):):)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:11 am »
Well that vid tells it all!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:51 pm »
No disrespect intended here.
   That frame was made from inferior plastic and or mistreated. I have not even had a plastic frame warp yet, much less look like that one.  I bought some equipment that had a lot of plastic in the deeps, many over 4 years old, and they are still perfectly useable.. There are white and black plastic one piece frames. They scraped off very well and will be recoated by their new owner who does intend to reuse them.
   I will not argue that they are easy to break the ears off of when they get older. I have broken ears off new frames, and as they get older it seems that they break off much easier.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
I agree about the video, that frame must have been put into a solar wax melter or something.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.