Author Topic: plastic VS Wood frames.  (Read 13855 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: plastic VS Wood frames.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »
A plastic frame shaped like that can only occur on a Tuesday, where the horizontal gravity graduate exceeds the angle of the dangle.  ;)
Lee_Burough

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:40 pm »
tuesdays...  I was thinking Mondays.. only a day off!!    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »
I have most my brood boxes with 4.9 plastic cell .
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page19.html#!productInfo/3/
And for the honey supers{I use all deeps}I use rite cell wooden frame with plastic foundation.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page17.html#!productInfo/3/
Plastic frames did not work well in my extractor{would bend } that's why I have wooden ones in my honey supers.
Plus I like to run some foundationless frames to make comb honey people just love comb in the honey.
I'm hoping the 4.9 cell will help with my war on VARROA. After this year I should have all brood boxes on 4.9 plastic cell frames.
Say hello to the bad guy.
5 year Beekeeper/40 hives/ treat{oav}

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »
i am with scott on this.....
with my commercial mentor raising queens and experimenting and lots of nucs/hives passed between us,  i inherited some of his plastic frames, now i know why i inherited them but.... be it accident or not, i have cycled them out.  like scott said, never had them warp like the video suggests under normal conditions.  i am not speaking of the plastic foundation, i am speaking of the plastic frames the foundation is in.  i don't like plastic frames. they are not as durable, do get a little wonky, and are too flexible and as scott said, the ears break off, you have to trash the entire frame.

keep in mind everyone,  we are helping out a new beek deciding whether or not to purchase these.  zweefer, just go for wooden frames and pierco waxed foundation, or beeswax.  you won't regret it.  wood frames last a very long time, can be repaired, and if you are using plastic foundation, and the wood frame gets trashed, pop out the foundation and put it in a new frame, good to go.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »

keep in mind everyone,  we are helping out a new beek deciding whether or not to purchase these.  zweefer, just go for wooden frames and pierco waxed foundation, or beeswax.  you won't regret it.  wood frames last a very long time, can be repaired, and if you are using plastic foundation, and the wood frame gets trashed, pop out the foundation and put it in a new frame, good to go.

Good point, sorry, I have a habit of getting carried off topic.. I am sure no one has noticed yet......
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »
scott we all get off topic, that's what's great about this forum.  we might wander but we have fun.  i think some folks here were confused a little about the question: plastic frames vs wood frames. (can't purchase plastic frames alone, they come with plastic foundation).  you should have read me and zweefer's, and wades chat last night about this in the chat box, wanna talk total confusion?  it was totally funny! it was some funny stuff!!! 

anyways, you had a great point about that video and just wanted to say so!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:55 am »
Thanks for everyone input!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau