Author Topic: Old frames  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Old frames
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »
My mentor dropped off some used frames for me to have...

there are a few I have some concerns / questions on...

how old / dark can drawn comb be?

With me not really knowing what I'm looking at, are there any trouble spots you guys can see that I would warrant not using any of these?

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Old frames
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
I would use them for swarm traps.  If you are worried about diseases, remove the wax and lightly scorch the frames.  If the frame will no longer accept a foundation, use them as foundation-less.

I just see wax moth and remnants of bees most likely from a starve out.  You could also just scrap all the comb to the foundation if it has it and let them draw new wax out.  I have read that keeps like to replace comb every five years.  I haven't made it to my 5 year mark, so I don't know what I will do.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:10:38 pm »
I would hold them up to the sunlight so I could see into the bottoms , not the end against the divider, but the part f the cell that is on teh bottom when in the hive, and look for dark scale from AFB.. if it didn't have that I would use them...
  I would clean up the wax moth refuse and make sure there were no live wax moth larvae..

this is based on the NEED for drawn comb if you are splitting, have more bees coming etc..    If they were just free frames then go with Blue's suggestion.

At three to five years they get good and dark. The color isn't what bothers me, its the stuff that collects in the wax the comb is made of I worry about.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
I asked how long he had them, and was given a shrug in reply...  so not sure on age. 
If I go foundationless, what all would I need to do?

Friendly reminder this is my first foray into beekeeping, so I have no other drawn comb to use yet.  just what will come with the two nucs.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:16:24 pm »
Free frames are good frames.  I purchased 100 frames and 100 rite cell foundations at a hard to swallow $180 range.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:20:36 pm »
I think there will be enough wax remnants left on the frame to help guide the bees to draw the frame out well enough.  Otherwise, fresh frames, I would glue a shim (rip some off on your table saw) or Popsicle sticks in the groove of the top bar and coat with melted beeswax.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:33:04 pm »
Seeing as how your mentor gave these to you I would surely think they are AFB free.

I would put them in the freezer for two or three days to kill any wax worms then put them to use.

If going foundationless, I would cut all of the comb out except for about one inch on the top bar, this would give them a guide to start with.

Ask your mentor what he would do with them or why he gave them to you. If he knows you have a couple of nucs coming.....well he is trying to help you out best he can.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:08 pm »
I can guarantee there is no AFB.  the others, not so much.  They sat in the cold (got to -55 with wind chill here) all winter, but i'll put them in the deep freeze to be safe.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:49:41 pm »

They do fairly well if you can put empty frames between drawn frames. Those being deeps you may want to run a couple of cross wires or use fishing string for a little support during the training period.
   The first naturally drawn comb I pulled from one of my own hives promptly fell off the frame onto my boot. It takes a little different management of the frame when inspecting, at least until the comb has started to stiffen up.
   A frame started by my bees well before pollen or nectar was available. They did this on syrup alone.

Using Mediums lets me get away without the support wires.

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
looks great Lazy. Is there an advantage to foundationless in the brood chamber?  I get the honey supers (comb honey etc.)
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:51 am »
One very important advantage as far as I am concerned.. I dont have to buy foundation!!    I'm a cheap AND LazyBkpr...
   I have several reasons listed on the linked page, about half way down the page you will come to the foundation-less part..   I don't condemn foundation in any way. I have some plastic, and some wired wax, but over 2/3 of my frames are foundation-less.

http://outyard.weebly.com/frames.html

*Sponsor*

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:58:01 am »
I like foundationless because the bees like it better.
In your situation I would use that comb as is for now and rotate it out when you could spare it.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:06:35 pm »
I spent this morning, during a thunderstorm, in the garage scraping the old, dark comb off of some frames.  I threw the plastic foundation away, froze the old wax and cleaned up the frames.  Then I popped in some new plastic foundation.  An already assembled frame is worth A LOT to me.