Author Topic: Storing used frames  (Read 1311 times)

Offline TheFuzz

Storing used frames
« on: April 08, 2020, 07:35:02 am »
My bees haven't been doing well. I've had hives abscond on me, and I have beehives who are quite low on sugar, they have supers that are entirely empty and here in Australia, we are going into winter (though we have warm winters here). I believe I'm going to have to feed my bees sugar for them to survive, but then I'm concerned if I do so, perhaps at a later time I might end up extracting cane sugar syrup at a later year without realising. I figure because of this, I'll have to remove the empty supers from the beehives, before feeding them sugar.

But then I've got the problem, what do I do with the frames? I've had a number of wax moth infestations when I've stored supers. They must have eggs left on the frames and then my whole shed becomes infested with them creating quite a problem for me.

Do I just need to buy myself a freezer that's big enough where I can freeze my frames? I'm a bit sure with how to properly store and manage my inventory for this upcoming winter.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Storing used frames
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:17:46 am »
If I understand correctly, you are going into fall in Australia.  You should pull those supers.  Don't give the bees more room than they can handle.
Very few beekeepers have enough freezer space for all those honey supers.  So we store them with moth crystals where the main ingredient is Paradichlorobenzene.  This website tells you how to store your supers.
 https://www.kelleybees.com/para-moth-crystals.html

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:14 pm »
if possible freeze the frames for 24-48 hours & then store with moth crystals. moth crystals do not protect from SHB.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 08:53:26 pm »
Yip, what they said...   Freezing gets rid of the shb etc, and the crystals keep the moths out.. contractor bags wrapped around them, a paper plate with teh crystals on it and tie it shut... make sure to air the supers out a few days before re use!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*