Author Topic: Thanksgiving leftovers.  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Thanksgiving leftovers.
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:57 pm »
What's your favorite recipe using thanksgiving leftovers?
My just a simple turkey pot pie, cream of celery soup, vegs and can biscuits in cast iron deep pan.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Thanksgiving leftovers.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:41:21 pm »
When I cooked at the children's home (not that long ago)  the kids really like turkey pot pie.  I think their favorite was turkey tetrazinni.  The filling is a lot like pot pie only you use spaghetti noodles.  After cooking off the noodles, melt some butter in a pan or dutch oven.  Saute chopped onions and celery until soft.  Add flour and cook for 5-10 minutes.  Slowly add turkey or chicken broth to make a gravy.  Season with salt, pepper, seasoning salt or whatever you like. Add chopped leftover turkey to heat it up.  Stir in pasta. Parsley makes it look attractive. Put all this in a baking dish, top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and the filling is bubbly.
The secret is to make enough sauce so that it's all creamy not dried out when you put it together.  I was always very generous with the butter.  That allowed for lots of flavor and the start of lots of sauce.
Not bragging, but I will.  Others tried to make this dish and used the canned soup method.   :no:  They just said they couldn't do it and have it turn out the same, so they let me make it.  It is not that much extra effort to make the sauce from scratch.  IMHO
The night before Thanksgiving, spaghetti might be a good simple dish to have and save the leftover spaghetti noodles.  ;)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Thanksgiving leftovers.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:34:33 pm »
mikey, pot pie, or a soup, or even grilled sandwiches loaded with all sorts of stuff, but i do like the pot pie. we probably have enough turkey left over to do a pot pie and a soup!  love pot pies in a cast iron skillet!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor