Author Topic: First graft, 2019  (Read 10914 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
First graft, 2019
« on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
We set up the starter hive yesterday and grafted 40 plus cells today. All Wayne's bees.

WISH US LUCK
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: First graft, 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:55:24 pm »
Good luck!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 10:45:26 am »
Keep us updated!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 05:29:25 pm »
Didn't brush the bees off for an exact count, but it looks like about a 50% take. About 20 cells being drawn out and about the same being ignored. With the weather the way it is, I'm happy with that. I'll post an exact count in about 6 days when we move them into the incubator.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:45:56 pm »
Are the queens for personal use or sale? 
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:54:32 pm »
Depends on final count. Restocking winter losses, then for sale. Will be raising for sale once winter losses are replaced.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:58:02 pm »
Moved 16 cells to the incubator today. Put 2 more frames in the starter to be cleaned. Will graft into them tomorrow.

16 of 40 doesn't sound too good, but it was rainy and cold here the day we grafted, so I'm not too awful disappointed.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 05:42:59 pm »
Jacobs, myself, Keith from Beez Needz, and another helper set up 15 mating units yesterday and installed Wayne's queen cells.
Hopefully, we will get a few nucs and queens for sale from them.

We also grafted again Friday, March 22. Checked them yesterday and counted about 29, Those, too, were Wayne's bees.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 03:14:05 pm »
I'm thinking you'd have some sales in iowa if you have enough of those queens.  Should I be on a list yet?
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:04:59 pm »
Talk to Lazy and let me know how many. I'll put you on the list.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 06:03:44 am »
Iddee... I always find the first graft to go on a bit rough.  After that things smooth out...  This year due to weather the first graft was late and then got hit with a cold snap that seems to have impacted the queens getting properly mated.  Cells are a good thing to sell if you have limited man power.  We have friends that winter down this way that literally sell thousands of sells each spring.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 08:13:11 am »
Agreed, Tec. The second round was nearly twice the first. We tried selling cells one year. The new beeks in this area, "we don't have local commercials", expected 100% success, so complained when not gotten. We decided not to do it again other than special request.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 10:30:46 am »
Rough not knowing how many I lost.. Just got back from Maine and I saw bees flying so I know there are hives alive...   just not sure how many!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 01:48:17 pm »
Plenty of time. Just let me know when you get them checked.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
Got 26 on the second round. Installed them in mating boxes today. They will be for sale.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 07:08:34 am »
Weather here has been up and down... cold and wet with a bit of sunshine tossed in just to keep us entertained.

First graft mating was extremely poor... perhaps a 25% take at best.  Second graft I have not checked for success yet but hopefully even with the weather gyration thing will improve.  Third graft I installed Sunday... in a panic and just as one queen was emerging... lucky the weather cleared just enough on Sunday evening for me to make up the nucs and toss in the cells.

Sometimes I think beekeeping is a bit like fishing... sometimes even when one knows what one is doing and even if you have the best gear you still catch no fish.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 07:38:58 am »
Talk about bouncy weather? 75 here Sunday, 32 this morning.
Out of 40, we got 15 cells the first graft, 26 the second, and will check the third tomorrow or Thursday, so it did improve some.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 11:17:21 am »
Now it's snowing. First time I've ever seen it snow here in April that I can remember.
Forecast is for 70 plus again Thursday.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 06:08:42 pm »
No snow here

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:26 am »
Placed 25 cells in the incubator Thursday.Went fishing Friday.
― Shel Silverstein