Author Topic: Food to bee ratio question  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Food to bee ratio question
« on: December 28, 2021, 11:53:50 am »
Is there a formula regarding the ratio of bees to food stores?  Example:  For every frame of bees there should be X pounds of honey or for every frame of bees there should be X number of frames of honey.
I may be over thinking this.   In my area there is an abundance spring resources that I never gave it much thought.  As the main nectar flow ends and we move into summer, my colonies begin dropping weight.  I don't think they recover enough with fall resources to make it through the winter.  This year seems particularly light.
I know that when the bees begin back filling the brood area with honey they need more room.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Food to bee ratio question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 06:40:32 pm »
I believe Michael Bush recommends 1 frame of honey per frame of bees minimum, and 2 frames of honey per frame of bees as ideal.  Most people seem to talk about honey for winter as poundage as opposed to frames/frames of bees for some reason. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 02:00:55 pm »
To also add...... that since beekeeping is local. There is no one method to determine frames needed that will work for all.

Personally, I never weighed a hive either to determine stores. I feed until they won't take anymore, then add a 8 lb sugar brick just in case. ;)
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:09:55 am »
To also add...... that since beekeeping is local. There is no one method to determine frames needed that will work for all.

Personally, I never weighed a hive either to determine stores. I feed until they won't take anymore, then add a 8 lb sugar brick just in case. ;)

Thanks 15th Member and yukonjeff for responding.  I had forgotten about Michael Bush as a resource. 
Yukonjeff, I have never weighed a hive either.  I will do a heft test by slightly lifting the back end of the bottom board.  If you do that regularly, you will get an idea of when the hive has plenty of food or is light.